Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about iron >

Question about iron

Question about iron

Old 02-08-2014, 02:53 AM

Default Question about iron

Do any of you have a suggestion what to do when a Rowenta iron occasionally puts
rust on fabric when pressing the steam button?
Thanks.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 AM

I don't have an answer to your question but have one of my own about MY not more than one year old Rowenta iron. It doesn't seem to get as hot as I think it should. Are all Rowentas like that?
Old 02-08-2014, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

mine came with 'cleaning instructions' in the owners book- tells you how to empty & clean out the steam feature- which they say should be done when you are done using it each day- the iron should not be left full of water to sit. see if you saved your 'manual' and put it through a good cleaning to 'expel' all of the buildup you have in your steam vent.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by mary123 View Post
Do any of you have a suggestion what to do when a Rowenta iron occasionally puts
rust on fabric when pressing the steam button?
Thanks.
R U using the correct water?? My Rowenta was 22 years old and I never ever had any probems with it. It finally wore out and Zi have replaced it with the Rowenta Eco. Read the manual...very explicit on the type of water used.
Sandy
Old 02-08-2014, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
R U using the correct water?? My Rowenta was 22 years old and I never ever had any probems with it. It finally wore out and Zi have replaced it with the Rowenta Eco. Read the manual...very explicit on the type of water used.
Sandy
I agree completely. Some Rowentas are designed for tap water; some for distilled. But DO go through the cleaning process. I'm sure that will resolve your problems.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:09 AM

Sounds like a great reason to buy a new iron to me!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Mine started doing that after about ten years, so now I don't use steam from it. I have a spray bottle that I use instead. I suspect the iron is dying a slow death, so I'm researching new irons for when that time comes.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 AM

When I bought my current, inexpensive B&D iron, I didn't bother even trying the steam feature. I keep a spray bottle of water next to my ironing board, which works just as well. Before this iron, I'd tried various steam irons, including an expensive Rowenta. I read instructions carefully and used tap or distilled water, as directed. Finally got fed up with the lack of quality in even the expensive ones, so went to WalMart and bought one of the cheapest B&D irons, I could find. Got myself a spray bottle and a gallon of distilled water (we have hard well water) and have never looked back.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

mine is a Sunbeam and shuts off when I don't want it too. Right in the middle of using it. Suppose to be a safety feature. PIA.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by cookie5 View Post
I don't have an answer to your question but have one of my own about MY not more than one year old Rowenta iron. It doesn't seem to get as hot as I think it should. Are all Rowentas like that?
No mine gets hot, and gets hot fast even with auto shut off. Its one of the reasons I don't like using the cheaper irons at my parents and inlaws house because the heat just doesn't get as hot as my rowenta