Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about a light box

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I know how to make a cheap light box but assumed you could only trace from a template and didn't see the point. Now I'm thinking ... can you trace from a printed-paper design? I have so many printed out and have been tracing onto that durn tissue paper and sewing through it. (I'm a chicken about FMQ.) Is this the big advantage of a light box???

I have a light box I bought it for my card making and find it invaluable in the patchwork for tracing applique and patterns

I have my small ott light that I clamp on the side of my glass table, where I do all of my cutting.

Blog Entries
    I don't have a light box i just use tissue paper.Sometimes i tape my pattern to my storm door.

I have a large 18X24 light box that my husband had in his ad agency for many years, and we both still use it a lot for tracing large designs. I have even used it to copy pp patterns onto drier sheets so I don't have to remove any paper once the blocks are pieced together.

Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    I have a light box I bought it for my card making and find it invaluable in the patchwork for tracing applique and patterns
    Home Depot has lightly frosted plastic panes (in all sizes, mine are 18 x 24). They also come in different thicknesses. Mine are 3 mm thick. I bought two of them
    a) for stability
    b) to put a piece of fabric between the two plastic layers (It eleminates glare).

I have put 7.5'' legs underneath it. Put on my table, it has a very comfortable height and I can regulate the light I put underneath it (It has three small bulbs).

This worked out quite well.

Starting to quilt has done this to me: I keep on making things myself...
    It's fun!

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Yes, I do know how to make one ... but what do you trace??? printed paper patterns? or do you have to use templates/tissue paper?

I use it to trace embrodery patterns.

I use it to arrange the fabric on a printed paper foundation and also to see how seams fit together. No more cutting off points!