Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Log Cabin: wonky blocks? >

Question about Log Cabin: wonky blocks?

Question about Log Cabin: wonky blocks?

Old 10-06-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I trim mine after each row around. A smidge then doesn't show as much as when the block is done.
— Another who trims as she works. I think I will have to adopt this practice for the rest of the blocks. Thanks, Jingle.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by HomekeepingGran View Post
But you would square off those ends which are not quite the same, wouldn't you? Otherwise you could end up with your whole quilt top put together askew.
It doesn't matter if the logs aren't all the same on the outside edges of the block as long as the block is square. There are no points or seams that have to match on the inside of the block. As long as the blocks match perfectly where they join you'll never see the individual logs that are a little off from one end to the other.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

One can get a piece of plexiglass cut to the size you want at some hardware stores - just make sure it is '"square" and the size you asked for before you leave the store.

I've found some people and places are MUCH better at cutting accurately than others.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I recently made a large queen/king size black/white quilt for last year's family reunion on July 4 in KS. My quilt went, unfortunately I could not. I squared up each block to a specific size, can't remember if it was 10.5 or 12.5. I was careful, I thought, to get an exact 1/4" seam, but sometimes I didn't and that's why I squared up each block, which made the quilt go together easily and with less frustration. Sometimes I only trimmed a sliver, but even 1/8" can make a difference when you are making a large quilt. I was lucky that my oldest niece and nephew acquired a long arm and Judy volunteered to quilt the quilt if I got it to her by April 1. Since I was going to have rotator cuff repair and surgery, I quickly agreed, since my surgery was scheduled for mid May. She hopes to be able to have an established quilting business when they retire in a few years, as her husband likes to quilt also. Forgot to mention that I have a 12 1/2" square up ruler and it is one of my most frequently used rulers, but I'd also like to get the next one larger for when I make large blocks. Can't wait to see your finished quilt.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
It doesn't matter if the logs aren't all the same on the outside edges of the block as long as the block is square. There are no points or seams that have to match on the inside of the block. As long as the blocks match perfectly where they join you'll never see the individual logs that are a little off from one end to the other.
Run this by me again. When I put the square ruler's 45º angle against the various inside corners of my blocks, every single corner lines up perfectly. So those are fine. At the outside edges of the block, those edges don't always match up and they need to be trimmed evenly, I would think. So what are you saying doesn't matter? I am not following you somehow.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 AM

My 12" ruler is actually 12-1/2" square because it allows for 1/4" seam all around. I recently had a "duh" moment when cutting out 12" blocks. Thought I made a mistake but didn't. Is your 12" block ruler actually 12" (finished block would be 11-1/2") or 12-1/2" (finished block would be 12")?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 AM

I only ever use my cutting mats to square up my blocks and that works fine for me.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
My 12" ruler is actually 12-1/2" square because it allows for 1/4" seam all around. I recently had a "duh" moment when cutting out 12" blocks. Thought I made a mistake but didn't. Is your 12" block ruler actually 12" (finished block would be 11-1/2") or 12-1/2" (finished block would be 12")?
It's 12½". Thanks for the enlightenment. I, too, wondered about that extra ½" but seam allowances make perfect sense.

Sorry to have been so long replying. I have been out of state and just got back today.