Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Log Cabin: wonky blocks? >

Question about Log Cabin: wonky blocks?

Question about Log Cabin: wonky blocks?

Old 10-05-2014, 02:35 AM

Default Question about Log Cabin: wonky blocks?

I am making this pattern in totally different colors. It's beautiful, but I am finding my blocks to be just slightly wonky when done. Since I own the magazine this is from, I can see that the sample looks slightly wonky in one picture but not in another. I was thinking of squaring my blocks off, but now am wondering, will that compromise the design? What should I do?

Also, although I have a 12" square ruler the blocks finish off at between 12 and 13 inches. (Wouldn't you know?) What is the best way to square without a square ruler?
Old 10-05-2014, 02:49 AM

I would think you need to square them all the same size so things fit. you can use 2 rulers to square - one vertical, the other butted against it horizontally. Does that make sense? I'll see if I can find an on line tutorial.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:55 AM

Yes, it makes sense. I only have one wide plastic ruler and one square plastic ruler. Every other ruler in this house is a yardstick which I don't think will cut it for what you are talking about.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:36 AM

You can square up your blocks using the grid on your cutting board. As long as you trim them using the same method, they should all be the same size.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:05 AM

After WTxRed mentioned tutorials, I got online to find some for myself. Most rely on square rulers, but I did find a very helpful one which I pinned. With the diagonal marking on my mat it looks as if I can make true squares with little problem. I might be cutting these blocks down some, which will probably mean a wide-ish border or extra blocks in order to fit the bed, but I do believe I can get them done so they are straight — which I hope are not Famous Last Words. Thanks to everyone. People

Thanks to everyone. People are fabulous about quick responses here and I really appreciate it.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Carefully press your blocks using a bit of starch or best press, gently pulling them into square. Next, measure and find the smallest block, then cut them all down to the same size. If one or two blocks are way way smaller than the rest, your seam allowance is probably off and you should take those blocks apart, press the pieces & re sew. The pattern is very linear so making the blocks as square as possible and all the same size will give you the best result.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:11 AM

They're already pressed, but I will try again, PaperPrincess. Thank you.

Several days ago I watched this video about the Log Cabin ruler. Marti Michell suggests cutting your strips on the lengthwise grain rather than crosswise for stability. Unfortunately, I am using a jelly roll and they're done crosswise, of course. If I ever plan another log cabin I will try to get yardage instead of pre-cuts and try her method. It certainly looks as if the direction of cut would help.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:58 AM

A friend of mine swears by the Log Cabin ruler, she squares them up with it after each addition and hers are perfect.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I have dog a few log cabins and what I would suggest is the you measure the finish size of each log. If you ar4e just 1/16 of an inch of on all 4 sides, that adds up to a 1/4". Could also be your ironing. I know I am bad at this so when making a Bargello, I don't press until sewing the strips to make the quilts is finished.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:11 AM

The problem I found is--if you have to cut much off, the log on the outside is smaller than the others. I would probably try to find out why the blocks are different sizes, probably your seam allowance isn't 1/4 inch all the time. With so many seams, being off just a couple of threads adds up to a big difference. Marking on you machine bed isn't difficult or expensive and a 1/4 inch foot is a great accessory. IMHO
Sue