Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: question about making a quilted bag

I have admired the gorgeous purses and bags many of you have posted. I have made quilts for several years, but I am not sure I could do a purse. I would like to try one, though. Could you all advise me of an easy on to start on? I am not sure I can do it. It would help if I started with something pretty simple. Thanks in advance.

I feel the same way... looking forward to the responses you get.

Lots of freebies online , you could read through them and see how the directions look. I highly recomend lazy girl designs, not free but very very simple. I have heard amy butlers are difficult. I would look for free patterns and try it with some inexpensive fabrics . If you don't like it you can always cut it up and put it back into a scrappy quilt! Look thorugh the links listed here as well I know some great free links have been posted for purses.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    Lots of freebies online , you could read through them and see how the directions look. I highly recomend lazy girl designs, not free but very very simple. I have heard amy butlers are difficult. I would look for free patterns and try it with some inexpensive fabrics . If you don't like it you can always cut it up and put it back into a scrappy quilt! Look thorugh the links listed here as well I know some great free links have been posted for purses.
    Yes, do a search for free purse patterns. You'll find quite a few. Some are made with fat quarters so they wouldn't be very expensive to try.

klc
    I've made many totes and find them fun and easy to make. If you aren't sure on how to go about it, take a class at your LQS. I find them very enjoyable and I learn something new all the time. Kathryn

Lots of good ones here:

http://diybaglover.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the great responses! My LQS is pretty far away. Actually the closest is about an hour and a half drive. I would like to take some classes sometime, however.

I thought there might be a type of purse that is not so hard to start with. I have seen lots of posts on BOW TUCKS. Are they hard to do? I will do some research online and see what I come up with.

Wow! Great site...THANKS!

nab
    I have made two bow tuck bags using a pattern called Shelle's Bags. The instructions are clear and well written. I use fleece in my bags and no interfacing. I also quilt them. I put fleece on the lining and quilt it. Once you have made one you will come up with your own likes and dislikes. Good luck and have fun.

Blog Entries
    My favorite bag is an old Simplicity Pattern and I still use it to make gift totes. I'll post a pic' of some in "Pictures". Some times instruction can be ??? Taking a class will get you started!

I got a picture posted titled totes... hope you find it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast