Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about muslin >

Question about muslin

Question about muslin

Old 08-09-2014, 04:04 AM
Evy

Default Question about muslin

A couple years ago I purchased a bolt of bleached muslin from Joann Fabrics and have used most of it. I would like to buy the same thing again, but now live about 80 miles from the nearest store, so will have to shop on line. On line, there are several types and brands. What I have is a tight weave and has what looks like a perma press finish. I know its 100% cotton or I would not have purchased it. Do you know if there are different weights? The prices vary from 1.99 a yard to 4.99 a yard. I'm sure I would not have paid the highest price for it. I have a scrap I keep in my purse just in case I get to the store, but I would hate to order the wrong one on line. Any advice/help would be welcome.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:11 AM

Yes there are different weights. The cheaper ones are much thinner. I would go with the upper cost muslin. That way you are getting a better fabric. You can also check for their online coupons to help with the cost.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 AM

There are a few muslins I like that JoAnn's carries. They did carry Kaufman muslin for awhile .. very high quality and tight weave. Their Legacy muslin is also very nice. One that I have bought by the bolt is RocLon 404 or 403 ( one is bleached one is not. It is a perm press - preshrunk muslin ( although there still is some shrinkage). Be careful buying RocLon as they manufacture several different grades of muslin and you really don't want the lower grades.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Evy View Post
A couple years ago I purchased a bolt of bleached muslin from Joann Fabrics and have used most of it. I would like to buy the same thing again, but now live about 80 miles from the nearest store, so will have to shop on line. On line, there are several types and brands. What I have is a tight weave and has what looks like a perma press finish. I know its 100% cotton or I would not have purchased it. Do you know if there are different weights? The prices vary from 1.99 a yard to 4.99 a yard. I'm sure I would not have paid the highest price for it. I have a scrap I keep in my purse just in case I get to the store, but I would hate to order the wrong one on line. Any advice/help would be welcome.
I love legacy premium from Joann's it cost usually around 9 dollars with coupon , it is so silky and washes up really soft
Old 08-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I doubt that you will be able to order exactly the same muslin online because there is such a variety of weights, thread counts, and manufacturers of muslin. Even if you take it to the store, without the SKU you will probably have great difficulty matching your sample exactly.

I like Kaufman Kona muslin and buy it online -- usually from Hancock's of Paducah. They seem to put it on sale sometime around Christmas at a pretty good reduction; seems I have gotten it for half price at that time (sometimes with free shipping).

You may need to make a trip to JoAnn's in order to see exactly which muslin fabrics you like. Once you know manufacturer, brand, color, etc. it's pretty safe to order it online. Without that information, however, it's a big guess. In that case I would stick with recommendations from this board. Just be aware that thread count, color, and finish could be different from what you have been using.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:19 PM

I would be careful, especially with the lower grade muslins from JoAnn's. I bought a bolt of muslin from them a few years ago-- it's been so long now, I don't remember what the grade was. But it so terribly off grain that I could barely use it.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Can't say enough about the Legacy at Joann's!! Although it is $12.99/yd., using a coupon really helps. It comes up to 108" wide. Irons up so smooth and beautiful. It is all I buy.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Evy

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice and suggestions. I think I'll wait for a sale and purchase either the legacy or the better roc-lon brand. I use it a lot for the background in my blocks. I learned the hard way not to use broadcloth. What a pain because the seams distorted so much.

Thanks again.