Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about painting sewing room >

Question about painting sewing room

Question about painting sewing room

Old 08-29-2014, 12:41 PM

My bedroom is sage green and when I lay my blocks out on the bed there is no change in the colors than the beige sewing room. I think you're fine as long as you have the large window. Green is a very calming color.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:48 PM

My living room is sage green and I think it makes the room feel comfy. Not sure if it changes the colors in the room, though.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 PM

I just repurposed a bedroom to my sewing room and painted it gray, but with more beige in it than blue. I have lots of natural light as it faces south and has a bay and two side windows. I painted the old wood floor a darker shade of the same color and have white cabinets/surfaces throughout. I love my room and spend time in there every day. I think the gray is neutral enough that it doesn't take from the color of the fabrics.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 PM

My house is done in mostly dark colors - primitive decor. When we remodeled our downstairs last year I decided my sewing room was going to be bright, girly girl colors. I painted the beadboard walls in Robins Egg and have all kinds of fun colors in there. I never took into consideration the quilts I would be working on - only what I would enjoy!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 PM

Have you tested colors on foam board (taped with painter's tape to your walls) to see what looks good in the room? They have little pots of inexpensive samples of most paint brands these days. I have found it's well worth the extra time to make sure you have a color you will love. The light in a room will determine what color looks good. I painted my sewing room white and lilac (two walls of bright white, and two of lilac, in a north room that needed brightening).
Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 PM

My sewing room is the white with a hint of blue in it, but I have a closet with sliding doors that go the width of the room and they are painted a very pale yellow. Luckily I have a wall of windows to let the sun in - not a great view out there but having the sun to light the room makes it for truer colors of the fabric.

Do what you like - and what keeps you being creative, that is what really matters. The quilts are just temporary residents of the area.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:11 PM

My sewing room has one wall with black and blue wallpaper, two walls darkish blue and one light blue. Only because it's actually my sister's bedroom that we took over when she moved out! I don't find it a problem at all, but I've never had cream walls, so there might be a huge difference that I'm just not aware of!
If you're too nervous to go ahead with the sage, try doing it all cream and then make a large wallhanging for one wall to brighten it up. Then you can change it if you fancy a different colour :-)
Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 AM

I like my off white walls and white ceiling. I do longarm quilting and need all the light I can get. I can sew at my sewing machine without my Ott light. We have 4 (4 bulb) natural color fluorescent lights on the ceiling over the 14' longarm and 2 (4 bulb) similar lights over my sewing machine. I have only one large window and 2 small ones in my basement sanctuary.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:37 AM

i sew in the basement w/ yellow walls - little light. My key is good artificial light (same as my kitchen) I have fluorescent tube lighting and also at home depot i bought bright white bulbs. The Kelvins are the important measure because i have found that they vary....
Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Have you tested colors on foam board (taped with painter's tape to your walls) to see what looks good in the room? They have little pots of inexpensive samples of most paint brands these days. I have found it's well worth the extra time to make sure you have a color you will love. The light in a room will determine what color looks good. I painted my sewing room white and lilac (two walls of bright white, and two of lilac, in a north room that needed brightening).
This is very good advice. We did it for our condo in FL. It' same good idea to look at the samples at different times of the day, too. Just buy your board at Joann's or somewhere like that. The kit they sold at the paint store was more expensive.
We didn't tape our boards. Just leaned them against the wall, placed them on furniture or held them up next to the trim in different parts of the rooms. Paint colors that look good on a tiny sample can sure look different on a larger area.

Last edited by lots2do; 08-30-2014 at 06:50 AM.