Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about pattern making >

Question about pattern making

Question about pattern making

Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM

I have EQ7, but I always seem to revert to graph paper. There are so many ideas on the internet for blocks and arrangements. But sometimes I'll just start with the middle blocks then decide what to do after that.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM

PaperPrincess explained my method better than I could - figure out the block using graph paper, and break it down into simpler units for piecing.

I also sometimes use Excel to make a printable version of the top that I can colour in, if there's an overall design beyond the individual block that I want to work out. I think EQ would make that process much faster, but right now pencil crayons are more in my budget.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marcycn View Post
Ouch! Pricey. Good to know if I ever get good enough to invest that kind of money. :-) Thanks.
The Quilt in a Day web site usually has the best price on EQ7. You don't see the price unless you put the item in your shopping basket, but it's usually a substantial discount.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Ouch! Pricey. Good to know if I ever get good enough to invest that kind of money. :-) Thanks.
You really don't need the latest and the greatest software. I have been on EQ5 and it is the software of quite a few of us on the board. Last time around Thanksgiving, EQ7 was half off at JAF online. I see post occasionally when EB has EQ on sale. What makes the software so great, you draw your block and put it into your quilt and instantly, you have a quilt design. You can rotate or flip them at a click of a mouse. You can paper piece the block or get rotary cutting dimensions. EQ has a lower price item called Design Wizard.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM

Graph paper is what I use also.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM

1/4" square graph paper. If I see a quilt I like online, I print it off and try to figure out the individual blocks. I then use my trusty graph paper, a sharp pencil and good eraser (I make lots of mistakes!) and draft out the blocks.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM

I agree with that graph paper - and a set of colored pencils - are my best quilt design friends. Paperprincess gave great suggestions on figuring out patterns from photos. I've never bought an actual quilt pattern...but have lots of block books and magazines. I do the same with my applique. It's really pretty simple once you get used to it.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:43 PM

How do you all go about taking some material and coming up with your own pattern?
Graph paper? Wing it? Or do you use a pattern you have done before?

And if you see just a picture of a quilt you like without a pattern, how do you go about doing it yourself?

I see some very creative (way beyond any of my imagination) quilts up here and can't for the life of me figure out how they were conceived. :-)
I sketch out what I want for my pattern, then take it to graph paper or sometimes just decide what size an piece should be. I'm assuming you are doing squares, triangles and rectangles.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I agree with that graph paper - and a set of colored pencils - are my best quilt design friends. Paperprincess gave great suggestions on figuring out patterns from photos. I've never bought an actual quilt pattern...but have lots of block books and magazines. I do the same with my applique. It's really pretty simple once you get used to it.
Yes, colored pencils are a great help
Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 PM

In general I use graph paper for quickie designing or playing with random ideas.

I do have EQ7 and use it more for determining fabric amounts, playing with squares that might work together, and things like that.

At the moment I'm designing a quilt more or less on the fly. Playing with rounds of squares and seeing if I like the result or not. So far I've discarded more ideas than I've used. Lol! Most of them will end up being used later, just not in the spot I originally considered.