Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about piecing the backing for a quilt >

Question about piecing the backing for a quilt

Question about piecing the backing for a quilt

Old 05-10-2016, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I don't understand why you would want to line them up. That is so difficult to do especially with a large quilt. I just put extra fabric and blcoks on the back just to use up what I have.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:29 AM

I piece backs often, but I do not try to get blocks to line up. First, it would be a real pain trying to get everything to match. Second, I don't want the bulk of all those seams together. Third, When I piece with left over material or blocks, I like a pattern, or placement, somewhat different than the front.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:52 AM

At the price of fabric I frequently piece backs but try to coordinate colors with the top . Diane C.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:08 AM

I'm a little OCD and would want my backing to line up too, if it was pieced. I have done it before in a couple quilts and like PaperPrincess used pins (but like her idea of thumb tacks better), HOWEVER I spray baste so it is a little easier. I spray baste the batting to the backing and then mark the matching points and carefully lay my top down to square it up with the backing. I then carefully roll half the quilt top on a squared off board my husband cut from MDF (3" x the closest width of the quilt. I have 4 ft, 5 ft, 6 ft, 7 ft, and 8 ft) and spray baste that half back in position. Then repeat for the other half. I then pin the entire perimeter and take it back to the sewing machine and baste 1/4" inside the edge to stabilize and prevent the top from peeling away as I quilt. I did the following in a meander on my DSM with a 6 1/2" throat, so it isn't a large quilt, but it lines up and it was not difficult to quilt with double seam allowances. Good luck! One of my quilts can be viewed here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t236711.html
Old 05-11-2016, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Never did because I use sheets sometimes cut up and usually odd number of piecing if that for the backing. Depending on the sheet, it can be flipped to look like a reversal quilt according to the top of the sheet if top hem is wide enough.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:40 AM

I often piece my backs and while I'm not trying to line up seams I do want the seams on the back to be straight with the quilt overall. I glue baste so the process might be a little different. I squiggle the glue on the batting and lay the backing over it. Once that is dry I'm ready to do the front. Before I flip the back/batting over to expose the batting I tape straws, pencils or whatever I have handy so there is a bump on the seam line that I can then align with a point of reference on the top. It is then easy to get both the front and back going straight. The quilt that I'm working on right now I put a large border on the back because I was short of backing fabric. It was really important that I get that on straight because it would be really obvious if one side of the border was wider etc. In this case I found a point of reference on my top that was the width of my desired border and used that to match up. I'm quilting the border from the back and it is turning out beautifully the way it matches to the front pattern of the quilt.
It's a little more work to do it this way but worth it in the end.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:41 AM

I have only done a couple of pieced backs and they were for scrappy quilts so they didn't need to line up. A few great suggestions offered on pinning and basting, good luck.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:38 AM

My pieced backs have been wide strips of fabric matching the front and placed randomly so I didn't have to match up seams.