Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about quilt block sizes

I am trying to make a quilt various blocks. I have a pattern of sorts that I am following and it has instructions for blocks that are 6 and 1/2 square when they are done. If I wanted to substitute a different block from the quilter's cache, will their blocks be listed as 6 inches but are really 6 1/2 before they are sewn into a quilt?

I hope that question made sense... :roll:

most blocks will show the "unfinished" size - so 6-1/2" is the unfinished size and after quilting it with 1/4" seam allowance the finished size will be 6".

A 6 inch finished block should 6 1/2 inch before putting the quilt together.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltforPD
    I am trying to make a quilt various blocks. I have a pattern of sorts that I am following and it has instructions for blocks that are 6 and 1/2 square when they are done. If I wanted to substitute a different block from the quilter's cache, will their blocks be listed as 6 inches but are really 6 1/2 before they are sewn into a quilt?

I believe QC gives you the measurement of the finished block, after it is sewn in place .... so it'll say 6", but when you make it up it'll be 6-1/2" til you sew it into your quilt.

For clarification, perhaps let us see which block you are wanting to use.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltforPD

I believe QC gives you the measurement of the finished block, after it is sewn in place .... so it'll say 6", but when you make it up it'll be 6-1/2" til you sew it into your quilt.
    I agree...just went and looked at her site and it does appear that she lists the finished size of the block.

Okay good because I didn't find ANY 6 1/2 size ones there. I have not decided which one I will try but I have to subsitute one because I tried to make the one in the pattern and it whoopped my bu%%!!!

there are so many beautiful blocks on the quilter's cache site...sometimes I just click thru them to get ideas. Good luck.