Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about quilt id tags >

Question about quilt id tags

Question about quilt id tags

Old 10-27-2014, 11:38 AM

Default Question about quilt id tags

Hi... I posted in the introduce yourself forum but maybe I should have asked my question here instead of there...LOL I have been working all year on Christmas gifts for my family. I have made 19 flannel rag quilts ranging in size from 1 crib, 2 lap-covers, 11 twin, 1 full, and 4 queen.

My question is: I would like to put a id tag on them stating who it is from, who for and date, etc. I would like to print it out using my printer and then sew onto each quilt. Just wondering how to make it where it would be washable. I read about printing in gray style (no color) on inkjet printer and setting with hot iron. Does anyone know if this will work.. don't want it to fade out the first time it is washed. I have a little saying I want to go with it so it isn't something that can be embroidered on.. My tag would go like this: I may not be fancy but I am warm and cozy. I was made with love by Mammaw for (recipient name here) for Christmas 2014. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:50 AM

I use EQ Printables, inkjet Fabric sheets. (Bought on Internet) If you follow directions, label will be washable, dry cleanable and colorfast. I have very good luck making simple labels with MS Word and also with Paint. Since you are making so many, you could put at least 2 per page and save fabric paper. The fabric is 200 thread count. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:01 PM

I have no answer to your question, but I have to say that you surely have been busy this year!!!! What a good Mammaw you are!!

Dina
Old 10-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Banned

I am *not* pretending to be an expert on this... lol... but I did a little homework on this subject a few months ago while I was writing a pattern for a sewing machine needle wallet.

I used white cotton that was adhered onto Reynold's brand freezer paper - and then threw that through my Canon ink jet printer. It was *amazing*.

I did a test wash on one scrap - and the ink held up just fine... so I *didn't* bother to go get the ink set products that are available on Amazon. Keep in mind, this was for a sewing machine needle wallet - so it's not the kind of object that is going to be laundered like a quilt would be expected to be. Also... in the name of keeping things simple when doing a pattern, I didn't want to put people through going and getting those products if it wasn't necessary.

For your project, though, I would probably want to try the stuff. They're made by a company called Jenkins and there is a Bubble Jet Set and a Bubble Jet Rinse.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-27-2014, 12:15 PM

You can also get a product called Bubble Jet which treats your fabric to make it washable. It is a two step process and you iron your fabric onto freezer paper to get it to go through the printer. I prefer this over the sheets you can buy because the fabric is softer in the end. You could also use a Pigma pen which is permanent to make your labels. If you didn't want to do it free hand print it out on paper and trace it onto fabric.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Banned

I couldn't get this picture to downsize.. sorry about that....

But the reason I'm posting this is to show you that the print can be *very* small and detailed and still turn out *awesome*. The printing on the white fabric was done through the inkjet ... and this was my first time trying it. It was really fun to do.

Look at how small the font of the print of the needle sizes are compared to the size of a sewing machine needle .... I hope this helps....

Old 10-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

You certainly have been busy doing much more quilting than I have. Welcome to the board.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:36 PM

I like to put labels on my quilts, but I don't have a way to do that by myself. You have gotten some good ideas. I have done 2 different things. I ordered some small satin labels from Jennifer's Jewels http://jjlabels.com The are about 1.5" x 2" with a little picture and my name. Then I mark the date on them. The price was pretty good and the labels are nice. There is a lady here on the board who makes very nice labels. I have gotten 9 or 10 from her and I am very happy with them. Her id is sewnsewer2.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 AM

I am familiar with doing the freezer paper and inkjet printer... I have a small business of printing/cutting personalized church prayer cloths. But they are something that isn't washed... the quilts will be and I wanted to make sure had something on them that the printing didn't wash out.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 AM

Thanks! I wanted to do this Christmas project last year... but just didn't get started in time. I started the first week of Jan. cutting the pieces...I had all cut and sewn by Oct. 1 and I have all of them clipped except for one. I had a "ton" of flannel quilt pieces (my sister used to run a sewing factory and brought us scraps). I wanted to be sure my grand kids had a quilt from me... and had enough pieces... just kept making and adults got one too.