Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about a quilt with no batting and no backing >

Question about a quilt with no batting and no backing

Question about a quilt with no batting and no backing

Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 AM

I think they are called summer quilts is that right? I have found in my stuff an old dresdend plate quilt. Strange that the plates have no center circle sewn in. They are all top stitched down by machine and the fabric they are stitched to is like flower sack only it is one large piece of fabric and not pieced so I'm not sure about that. The fabric in the dresdend paltes is very old, kind of faded and thin. the quilt has a wide pretty yellow boarder and there are some small holes and places the dresdens are fraying. I am wanting to sell it on ebay but I didnt know how to list it. Any ideas?

If you have an interest in buying it please PM me. I can PM you a photo of it. I have to purge and this one has to have a new home. I do not know it's history other than it can from an old rancher in NE.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

it sounds like it's not a quilt yet- it is a quilt top- and should be listed that way- a quilt is 3 layers held together with stitching. (according to webster's anyway)
if you list it take good pictures showing the flaws and be sure to list the measurments and the condition. be sure to be precise- to avoid someone returning it unhappy.
if you show us pic's we may be able to (date) the fabrics for you which might help with your sale
Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM

I'll try to post photo later, to muddy today outside and to dark inside for a good picture.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM

This sounds exactly like one I have that my mother had. It was finished around the edges with a wide yellow border and was used as a bed spread. Had no backing. I recently gave it to my daughter. Mine was made in the 30s.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Sounds lovely ... and look forward to seeing your pic!!

So what, if it doesn't meet the 3-layer-rule of a quilt! Doesn't matter!!

It's still a valued piece of history, that someone took the time to make and had a reason and purpose for it at the time.

You now have it ... ENJOY!! (rather than selling?) :)
Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 AM

Many of the older Dresden plates did not have an inner circle.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maggiesmom
Many of the older Dresden plates did not have an inner circle.
ditto ... I have an old one ... the centre is just neatly tucked in. Appliqued with black embroidery thread all around the outside and centre.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Now I'm curious. I will wait patiently to see pictures!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Always In Stitches
I think they are called summer quilts is that right? I have found in my stuff an old dresdend plate quilt. Strange that the plates have no center circle sewn in. They are all top stitched down by machine and the fabric they are stitched to is like flower sack only it is one large piece of fabric and not pieced so I'm not sure about that. The fabric in the dresdend paltes is very old, kind of faded and thin. the quilt has a wide pretty yellow boarder and there are some small holes and places the dresdens are fraying. I am wanting to sell it on ebay but I didnt know how to list it. Any ideas?

If you have an interest in buying it please PM me. I can PM you a photo of it. I have to purge and this one has to have a new home. I do not know it's history other than it can from an old rancher in NE.
I would consider that a top, because it is missing the backing.
My grandma used to make us Summer quilts without the batting, but she'd use a backing fabric.
The top used in that formation is more like a "bed spread" or "throw", but it can still pass as a summer quilt.
I'm not an expert on the subject either, but from my experience and knowledge, that is my philosophy.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM
dd

My sister made one when she was a teen, in the 60's. She took a sheet and appliquéd the plates onto the sheet,that way the edges were already finished. Mom asked her what she was going to do with it now. She replied that was her summer quilt, when it's too hot for anything more than a sheet but need to keep those mosquitoes and no-see-ums off you while you are trying to sleep. No AC in our house in the 60's, still don't til it gets really hot. I like to be warm, hence the quilts. Quilts are like firewood, they warm you twice, once while you are making it and afterward while you are using it. Firewood warms you while you are chopping and while you are burning.