Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Quilt as you Go

Blog Entries
    I have a question. I have never done quilt as you go and I am interested in learning how to do it.

I am making a quilt that has a 4 patch and then a square and then a 4 patch then a square etc etc.

Could that be quilted as I go? And if so, how are the actual blocks put together?

I looked in the search section and found a tutorial, but I'm a bit dunce I didn't understand it. But I will ask one of the ladies in my sewing group on Tuesday if she could help me and hopefully she knows how. :) But I would like and appreciate everyones input. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    I am planning to do that exact quilt with some charm packs and fat quarters my dd picked out. I'm going to use the fun and done method, in which the backing fabric is also the 'sashing' between the blocks. Here's a video:
    http://www.baysidequilting.com/store...idCategory=284

I must add too, that I would love for this method to "click" for me so I can use it on my Harry Potter quilt that is in-progress. I sure hope ya get some answers that help ya as well. Good luck!

you can sandwich each block, quilt it then join them with sashing strips...or you can put together a row of blocks sandwich it- quilt it- then join the rows with sashing strips....or you can skip the sashing strips and put it together 'raggy style'
    quilt in a day has a booklet called 'the 6-hour quilt' it shows a pretty easy quilt as you go project also

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    I use the web site You Tube . com .. its very helpful ..its all in steps on how to do anything.. hope this will help you..

It's easiest to do a whole row at a time. just remember not to quilt to far to the edges so that you have space to join them.

If you quilt a row at a time you have less seams on your backing.

This is a nice easy method of using a domestic sewing machine to FMQ.

Blog Entries
    I'm gonna try it. I will use u tube! Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I love qayg, keep trying, you will find it is easier than you thought

Blog Entries
    There are a bunch of different methods for QAUG, some use sashing, some don't. I've tried 4 different techniques and found one I really like. You can quilt individual blocks, or do sections, so depending on your square sizes, you could piece a giant 9 patch with the 1 and four patches and quilt that section then do the next. 2 to 3 feet square is a size I like to fmq on my domestic machine, so I like the section approach.

This is all looking so very interesting to me. Let's face it, quilting a full sized quilt on a home machine can be difficult at best. Thanks for the link gale for bayside quilting. I'll be visiting that site when I'm done here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast