Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about a quilting frame

Found one on Craigslist that I'm going to go look at. It's 12 ft long! I have two places I could put it.
    The back porch, which is covered and screened and overlooks the river
    or the garage which is hot,dirty and has no view.

Naturally, I want to put it on the porch. I'm not worried about it getting wet at all, but what about humidity. Should I be concerned?

i just wouldnt leave your machine out in the humidity, but to set it up there shouldnt hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by suebee
    i just wouldnt leave your machine out in the humidity, but to set it up there shouldnt hurt anything.
    yay! That's the answer I was hoping for. Does the machine go on and off easily?

It might depend on what the quilt frame is made of - wood might swell with humidity. If it's metal, then I think that I would wax it up two or three times a year as a pre-caution against the humidity.

Whether your machine goes on/off the frame easily is also dependent on how heavy it is. A smaller dsm, no problem. Moving a heavy machine quilter in and out of the house will probably get old fast.

Having said all that, I suspect you would have the same issues with the hot, dirty garage that has no view! Try the 'room with a view' first.

I just got a frame, it is wooden. I put my viking mega quilter on it and it is no problem to move the machine on and off, am able to do it myself. But, if you have a quilt on the frame you probably won't be taking the machine off, think of that both machine and quilt will be out unless you plan to complete the quilting in a day. I am not that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver
    I just got a frame, it is wooden. I put my viking mega quilter on it and it is no problem to move the machine on and off, am able to do it myself. But, if you have a quilt on the frame you probably won't be taking the machine off, think of that both machine and quilt will be out unless you plan to complete the quilting in a day. I am not that fast.
    hmmm Good point

You will have fabric leaders that you wont want to get wet.
    Mine is hooked up to a lazer light and a stitch regulator so lots of wires.
    Thats alot of money to invest to take a chance on the weather. You could have rain when you are not expecting it.
    Mine also has shelves made out of a heavy material but I would not take a chance on getting them wet.
    It also has a million screws holding it togather and the ends could get water inside the rods.