Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Quilting Magazines >

Question about Quilting Magazines

Question about Quilting Magazines

Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Default Question about Quilting Magazines

Hi! Do any of you subscribe to Quilting Magazines or do you get all your info here on the Board? I'm at a point of renewal for a couple and I can't decide it if I want to spend $$ on them or save for fabric. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM

I used to subscribe to 3 or 4 different ones. I found that I looked thru them a couple of times and then they went on my shelf. I let all of the subscriptions lapse. There are so many free patterns on the Internet and if I come across a pattern that someone has made here on the board I might purchase it. Of course I have a large tub of untouched patterns too! I will still thumb thru the quilt mags in the store and will purchase one every now and then. I've just accepted the fact that I will never make every pattern that I like so I don't purchase many any more.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM

I only subscribe to the ones that I can download digitally. No more room left. )
Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM

My kids usually get me a subscription to several quilt magazines every year for birthdays or Mother's Day - but, really, I don't get too much out of them - look through them a time or two and then put them in a pile under the coffee table. I doubt if I would buy them on my own. I do love to look through the ads though and often go to a website from an ad.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:15 PM

At first I subscribed to several quilting magazines. I'd go through them and put a sticky note on the pages/quilts that interested me. Now, I realize I'll probably never make them! Not to say I'd never purchase another quilting magazine. Just don't feel the need for them now.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 PM

I don't subscribe to any magazines. I've found that I can get a lot of info here and buy as I want patterns in either books, online, or if I want quilting magazines. I also like to design my own quilts. I've found that pinterest is also another great place for inspiration.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM

I'm a reader so I subscribe to ones with articles not just patterns.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The only one I subscribe to any longer is American Quilter, a benefit of belonging to The American Quilt Society. I also get a 10% discount at Joannes, and other benefits with that membership.

Not having other magazines requires that I go to the library every once in a while where I can sit in a nice chair or clear table and go through as many quilting magazines as I wish. I also get to read through the local weekly newspaper then as well since I don't subscribe to that either.

Makes me go out, have a change of scenery, read things I'm not exposed to at home, and I don't have dig to find or to store any of it!

Jan in VA
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM

Default magazine vs. internet

I still like the feel and atmosphere of looking thru a good quilting magazine. I keep a notebook that I glue "idea" pages in. I can't tell you the last time I actually used a pattern start to finish. It is true that there is a lot of free information on the internet...but judging from how quickly old quilt magazines are "picked up" at our Guild meetings, I think other quilters also like to sit down with the "printed page"! I think the decision needs to be based on available finances, rather than necessity. Passing it on keeps the old magazines inspiring new ideas in others rather than collecting bugs in a closet or box!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM

No subscriptions here. Too many patterns out there for free. I'll spend that money on fabric.