Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about salvage please

Blog Entries
    I am doing borders on a quilt and want to make one last border however I would need to use pieces that still have the salvage attached. I don't have enough to cut it off. The fabric has been washed and dried in the dryer. My question is - will that last border shrink differently than the rest. If maybe then I won't put on the last border. Nothing like using every little scrap. LOL

Thanks for any insight.

Power Poster
    If it has been washed and dried, and the selvage is the same "size" as the rest of the fabric - In an absolute pinch I would use it. If I was worried about more shrinkage, I would clip the selvage at intervals up to the seam line. (And then put fray-check on the clipped spots.)

The "however" part - the selvage is usually more tightly woven than the rest of the fabric and sometimes might be a bit of an issue when it comes to the quilting part.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, the salvage will be covered with the binding so maybe I will give it a try. After washing the salvage is not pulling or bunching up - it is very flat with the fabric. I am using every single piece of this fabric. Don't think there will be 3" left.

Thank you for your answer.

If its washed you can use it. What a eco friendly person. You are using it all. No waste.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patti, not as eco friendly as lack of planning. I am using a piece of fabric that I think I have had for about 20 years! Finally found the perfect use for it - all of it!!

if prewashed, and I need it, I use it.. as long as it will be covered by the binding, etc.

Phew! At least it's not 2 inches shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey
    Thanks Patti, not as eco friendly as lack of planning. I am using a piece of fabric that I think I have had for about 20 years! Finally found the perfect use for it - all of it!!
    Sounds like you planned it out "just right" :lol:

Really kind and accurate answers here.