Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about scissors

I have a question everyone. You know how there's some things that are bad for your scissors, like you shouldn't cut paper with them? I've been wondering about polybatting. I sometimes wonder when i'm cutting it, if it's bad for my good scissors, and if i should be using my good scissors to cut it, or a different pair? Any ideas? :)

Blog Entries
    I would be interested in knowing the answer to this also,Thanks for asking :lol:
    Sharon

Don't have a thought about cutting polybatting. Interesting question. :?

Well i know people have talked about pin cusions, and that some stuffings dull your pins, and others sharpen your pins, i just cant remember if poly batting dulls pins. So if it does, maybe it's the same for scissors.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I've been told by a very experienced quilty friend NOT to cut poly batting with my fabric scissors - too late!!! The same applies to the rotary cutter when trimming up - now I use an old blade for that as it will dull a new one fairly quickly. My plan is to get some new fabric scissors (mine aren't great anyway) and save the old ones for the batting.

Oh wow, thanks for the info. The reason i wondered, is when you cut poly batting, it kind of makes a wierd crunchy noise lol, so i wondered if that was bad maybe. I bought an old tattered quilt at the thrift store for a dollar, and it has really thick batting, so i want to cut it all up into tiny pieces to make a couple of pillows, so that's why i was wondering, cus im planning on cutting a lot of batting lol

I have scissors that are for fabric only.
    EVERYONE knows to NOT use them.
    I also have a cheap pair of Walmart scissors that are used for anything else.

I only use my good scissors for fabric and an old pair for all other, including batting.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    THANKS for all the good information. Guess I will have to go buy a new pair of fabric scissors. (oh darn, more shopping :roll: )

I use fiskars. I love them. I have one pair for fabric (off limits to everyone) and I have one pair for battings (also off limits)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast