Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about seam ripper

Blog Entries
    I have 4 of them right now...one is going to be retired soon LOL I do keep a dull one for other uses though :wink:

Yes, and I have replaced mine recently. I can tell when the threads don't cut as quickly, and I have to keep going over it.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    sssssshhhhhhhh.........i hid my seam ripper (spoken in a whisper ) so I wont make any mistakes..... :lol: :lol:
    I will let you know if it works....

I like to use small sissors better than the seam ripper. But I must say I never thought about them getting dull.

There is a surgical seam ripper out there that comes with replacement blades. I love them and have sold A LOT of them at my quilt retreats. I have everybody hooked on them. They cost more up front but I think are well worth the extra cost.

what about the lighted seam ripper? Anyone got opinions on that? I bought one, personally not impressed!Seam ripper works well, but as far as the light goes,not so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltsbybarb
    There is a surgical seam ripper out there that comes with replacement blades.
    This sounds like a good idea. Is there a brand name or certain way I should look it up on the 'net? Or do you get them at an lqs?

Its a good idea to replace your seam ripper sometimes. Yes, they can become dull. You don't notice the how dull they are until you repace it with a sharp one.

Banned
    Doyou realize that there are different size seam rippers?
    It's a good idea to look at the "shaft" of the seam ripper because some are very large and if you are sewing with smaller stitches, you would have a hard time use the larger one.
    Just a" for you info".

Blog Entries
    One of my friends was COMPLAINING about un-sewing. I looked at her seam ripper, asked "how old is it?" She said "it's the one that came with the sewing machine" (sewing machine is probable 20 yrs old). I MAKE HER buy a new seam ripper. Then she is saying "OMG, OMG this is so much easier".

About the 'Lighted' seam rippers. IMHO not worth the money. The blade area is to thick and not to sharp. Light idea is great, but.... I will stick to my little white clover.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast