Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Sharon Schamber's method for basting a quilt >

Question about Sharon Schamber's method for basting a quilt

Question about Sharon Schamber's method for basting a quilt

Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 AM

I use this method on twin and below, with left over sanded board when we put down hardwood floors. I once used it on a double bed size, a grandmothers flower garden, and had to open the dining room table all the way open. I finished the GFG though, and it looks nice. i cut the boards 12 inches longer than the width of the quilt.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
Having read about Sharon Schamber's videos and method for basting a quilt sandwich, I tuned to YouTube and watched both parts.

Like many instructional videos, the demonstration was done on fairly small pieces, which generally is MUCH MUCH easier than large quilts.

So if you're doing a large quilt (100" or more) you'd need 9 or 10' boards...BUT ALSO wouldn't you need a 9 or 10' table? Or are you back to doing it on the floor?

Thanks for your input.
Not familiar with this, but picked up on your statement about the videos being done on small pieces. I find that so true and it is not all that easy to translate successfully to a large queen or king size quilt.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:17 AM

I know this sounds weird but I sandwich my quilts on my double size bed. I sue spray basting and section the quilt in fours. Works really well as floor has not worked for me in a long time. Make sure to lay down a old sheet on bed first. I use straight pins to secure layers, like a pin cushion.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
[I] went to wal mart and bought 2 folding tables I loved the basting with board methed
Are those lightweight camping tables steady enough for quilting and high enough to use without killing your back? I've wondered about using them, but wasn't sure.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by junebug987 View Post
I know this sounds weird but I sandwich my quilts on my double size bed. I sue spray basting and section the quilt in fours. Works really well as floor has not worked for me in a long time. Make sure to lay down a old sheet on bed first. I use straight pins to secure layers, like a pin cushion.
Ive done this too. My house has small rooms and there's no floor space big enough to sandwich a large quilt. I slide a large cutting board underneath when I'm pinning.