Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about Signature quilt

I am planning to make a signature quilt for my high school 50 yr class reunion. My question is this - my quilt will be finished and everyone will sign it at the reunion. Then it will be auctioned off. I understand it is recommened that the signatures be
    "heat set". How does one do that after the quilt is done? I know to use the pigma pens and will make sure there are several there at the reunion.
    I have some time to make this, but won't have the opportunity to have the blocks signed before they are put into the quilt, so do appreciate your ideas on this.

Blog Entries
    oh i just place the iron over the signatures and let the heat "set" the ink.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    So I guess I should take my iron to the reunion.... LOL

Blog Entries
    Glad you asked this question. I knew of the heat setting and how, but was not sure of the pens to use! I have only used permanent fine point markers.

Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    So I guess I should take my iron to the reunion.... LOL
    If the winner is local, perhaps you could arrange that they pick it up at a later time...

If from away, you could provide them with written directions & make it a DIY.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    I agree, DIY instructions to press the siggys.

Thanks all
    I will do the DIY instructions. Question - do you place a pressing cloth over the signature or put the iron directly on the ink. Also, what temp on the iron and would you use steam? What are the washing/drying instructions of this quilt after all the signatures are set?
    I am in Mich and the reunion will be held in PA. so I would rather not mess with bringing it home and then sending it to whomever ends up with it.

Try to encourage the ladies who sign, to include their maiden name, along with their current name.

Dry iron ... and not steam!

Add the laundering instructions to a label on the back of the quilt.

And of course, a label explaining the significance of the quilt and who made it, your location and any other relevant details.

Also, leave a spot on the label for the purchaser's name, so you can personalize on-site right after the auction.

While it may be a hassle, I'd take my iron and know that the heat setting has been done properly.

Seems to me you could use a hair dryer to heat set the ink on a finished quilt more easily than an iron??? Or tell the recipient to toss it in the dryer for a few minutes before ever washing it? (No fun to tote an iron to a party!)

I suggest instructing the winner to take it to a laundromat and drying it in a commercial dryer as soon as they get home. The commercial dryers get much hotter than home dryers.

We did this when our Girl Scout troop tie-dyed t-shirts.