Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about spray baste and hand quilting >

question about spray baste and hand quilting

question about spray baste and hand quilting

Old 09-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Default question about spray baste and hand quilting

I'm a new quilter, currently working on my 2nd quilt. This one is a queen size so I decided to try Elmer's glue. It worked very well to sandwich (I loved it), except that I'm hand quilting and having such a hard time getting my needle through the glued parts! I don't yet machine quilt because I broke my walking
foot with my first machine quilting attempt. Anyway, I'm planning my next quilt and wondering how
basting spray works with hand quilting. Has anyone tried hand quilting with basting spray?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

At least the way I was taught was to baste the quilt with thread. There are some frames on the market that don't require any hand basting. I wouldn't have used the glue. Hope someone can come up with a solution of the glue.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:12 AM

Oh, no! It's going to be too hard to rock that needle thru glue. I have a frame that I put mine on when I hand quilt so no basting is needed. Before I bought my frame I did hand baste the quilt . Like ManiacQilter2 says there are some cheap frames on the market. Look at the one made out of pvc, it seems to be quiet reasonable. I've never used spray baste before, but it seems it would have been the better of the two choices.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 AM

I used spray on the last piece of embroidery I did and it worked very well. I had no problems, although it was just the top and a piece of batting, no backing.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I love Elmer's washable glue to baste for machine quilting but can see how it wouldn't work for hand quilting. Why don't you try spray basting a sample piece and see how it works with the needle?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I found this thread that might be helpful:
http://www.thequiltshow.com/bb3/view...p?f=110&t=5578

Personally, I wouldn't want the extra drag on the needle that spray basting would produce. In your situation, I would probably opt to thread baste with boards the Sharon Schamber way (she has Youtube videos that show how to do it). If I could afford it, I'd probably ask a longarmer to machine baste the quilt with water soluble thread. (You just have to be careful not to sweat too much as you work! )
Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 AM

I use Sullivan's spray and have never had a problem, but, yes, learned long ago to avoid the Elmer's where I'm going to hand stitch though I love it for "pinning"! (And this is with stab stitch hand quilting.)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that you glue basted a Queen size quilt that you are quilting by hand! I wonder if it would work to soak the whole thing, undo the layers and start again?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:58 AM

I was wondering about handquilting a glue basted quilt, and now I know not to do that! I did love using the Elmer's glue on my last quilt that was machine quilted.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 AM

I am a hand quilter only and use Elmer's Glue to baste and have no problems when quilting. I must add that I only do big-stitch quilting and that may make difference.