Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about stencils...(long-sorry) >

Question about stencils...(long-sorry)

Question about stencils...(long-sorry)

Old 02-25-2015, 10:39 PM

Default Question about stencils...(long-sorry)

So I'm trying to work out what to do between the Dresden blocks after I sew them together. The background is cream. The blades are white and khaki and white stripes alternating. I did the quilting(QAYG-more manageable)in white. The circles in the middle are a solid honeycomb which makes it look like the middle of a flower but is stiff as a board. It looks good but it was done to hide how badly I did the circles-I didn't know the neat trick of sewing them to a dryer sheet or thin fabric and turning them out. Nightmare. : )

Blades are quilted 1/4 inch inside all the way around, right next to out side applique seam, 1/4 inch from outside and 1/4 inch from that line straight from point to point. Lots of quilting!

When I put these together I need to quilt where the corners meet. I found a 4" square loop and dart stencil that I thought would offset the Dresden Plates perfectly and I use thinking of using the khaki color from the striped blades to add a little pizzaz to it.

I don't know if I want to use a fabric marker(Dritz-light grey)or some kind of punched paper instead because what if the marker won't wash out?

Also when making punch stencils, how many sheets of printer paper can I safely sew through to make the stencils?

What would you guys do?

Thank you in advance.

Dresi
Old 02-26-2015, 02:18 AM

With the Golden Threads paper, I think you can "sew" without thread thru 15 layers. I have used it a few times, but last time I gave up because the foot kept ripping the paper and it was taking forever. I marked it instead and it was much less frustrating. My favorite marking method is using the Blue Line Eraser set. It's water soluble also, but it says the solution will stay out after drying and even take out ironed on marks. So far, it has come out of any fabric I've tried it on. You can always test on the back in a seam allowance.

Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1NJcVCfFug

This is the kit I bought.
http://shop.bluelineeraser.com/BLE-All-In-ALL.htm

This gadget is the best to remove the lines without using too much of the fluid. You can always refill it with water too.
http://shop.bluelineeraser.com/BLE-E...en-BLE-Pen.htm

Last edited by katier825; 02-26-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

A photo always helps us with giving you suggestions.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:44 AM

I'll try and post a pic later

On my ipod now-just woke up
Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 AM

Okay-trying to post picture-don't know if this will work...
Attached Thumbnails stencil-2.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 AM

(I never said I was good at this
)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 AM

I use washable markers all the time in my fmq, but I always test first to ensure that it does actually wash out....have never had one that doesn't wash out yet....I use both Crayola and CraZart (much cheaper)....I like markers much more than quilting through a piece of paper as I despise picking out the bits of paper left in the stitching.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 AM

Maybe I'll have to go with a marker. Life's too short to pick little bits of paper out. : )

I used to be a purist and believed piecing and quilting ought to be done by hand. I'm well over that now. I could have done so much more over the years if I hadn't had that little hangup. SMH.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:20 PM

I use Fon & Porter's fine line pencils: one's graphic and the other white chalk.

I've always had it wash out completely.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM

I always use Roxannes' white or silver pencils. Usually there's very little left to wash off after the quilting, and they come completely out nice and easy