Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: question about table runners

I think some of you said you use muslin on the back of your runners. I was wondering if that looked ok , or not as nice? I am making a bunch of runners for christmas gifts and benefits; would muslin look good enough for the backing, since it isn't going to show much anyways? I feel like it would be wasting pretty fabric ,to put it on the back.

I always make the back out of pretty fabric...something that matches the front.
    But, if you want to use muslin...no rules says you can't!!

If its just for me sometimes I'll use muslin. Sometimes I'll experiement
    with fabric dies on muslin to try and match it to the front. Sometimes it works sometimes don't. But it was always fun trying.

I always use muslin on the back for myself...I'd rather use the pretty stuff in a project. For a gift, usually use a pretty fabric...then it can be reversible. Two gifts in one!

Blog Entries
    For me both ways work. I am just finishing up one with muslin but it is for everyday use. If its for a holiday or gift I use a pretty fabric on the back side then it is reversible.

Banned
    Muslin works great....used it for backs on many things.

I usually try to use a coordinating fabric - but that being said - I have used the Kona muslin. I probably would not use the inexpensive muslin but Kona has a nice feel and decent quality. I also, when plain fabric is on sale, purchase a bunch and use that as well.

I have used muslin but always prewash and dry it in the dryer. Even the Kona and other good muslin will shrink. Loose weave or something.

I like making my table runners with two distinct different sides so that they can be used for different holidays, events, etc. Fall and spring together, summer and winter together, etc.

Hugs,
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    I don't always use the same matching fabric....but I will find a decorative fabric that is on sale and use it for my backings...or I use the scraps from my oversize backings for quilts..they are long so I don't have to seam them and what not.

I usually put muslin on the back of just about everything. I hate having to use my nice pretty fabrics in an area that you don't really see it. but that is my own personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast