Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about tshirt quilts >

Question about tshirt quilts

Question about tshirt quilts

Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 AM

when sewing the t shirts together do you use a straight stitch and the 1/4" seam allowance? I had someone (not a quilter) tell me to use a zig zag stitch so that the seam would stretch with the shirt. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:09 AM

I do mine by stabilizing the t shirt blocks with a non stretchy interfacing and than proceeding like a regular quilt. If you want a stretchy quilt than you would probably follow her advice although I personally would not advise that. That would mean that the rest of the quilt would all have to be stretchy fabrics. Clear as mud??
Old 05-26-2010, 05:30 AM

well that was what I was thinking. I was thinking about using these tshirts as the backing on the memorial quilts I am making but just not sure how to make it work. I also don't need to spend a ton of $ on these....I still have buy the batting for them. What kind of stabilizer do you use and is it $$ to do?
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 AM

I used tricot interfacing and bought it at Joanns with a 50% off coupon and bought a whole bolt! I forget how much it is but you can check their website. Just make sure that the "stretch" in the tricot goes the opposite of the t shirt stretch when you iron it on. I always cut my t shirt block bigger and after ironing on the interfacing I trim it to size. I use the tricot for the softness but there are other light weight interfacings out there that may be cheaper.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 AM

When I made this large wall hanging (notice it is over a davenport!), I used light-weight interfacing plus Warm&Natural batting. By the time I had both the quilt top and the backing, it was a very heavy pull to quilt. When I sewed the backed t-shirts together (definitely straight stitch), I used 1/2 inch seam to make sure the two back-sides of seams touched for quilting. The 1/4 inch was too small to open up. Hope you have a quilting angel sitting on your shoulder while you complete your quilt as it is going to be tough. Not knowing what the quilt top is like, might I suggest you make a separate throw with the t-shirts? Been there, done this....aching shoulder and elbow for months.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73750.jpe  
Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 AM

When I did my t-shirts I used both front and back. I sewed the square together first, then I cut out the block.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 AM

alright I may have to change my mind on this....its sounding like more work than I bargained for.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
When I did my t-shirts I used both front and back. I sewed the square together first, then I cut out the block.
Now there is an idea! Did you put batting in between the front and back and if so, how do you sew them together without a raw seam showing? Sounds interesting.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I like the nylon tricot interfacing also. It is cheaper if purchased from a drapery company online. This is where I bought mine:
http://www.bblackandsons.com/
Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

A cheaper cotton fusible interfacing may not work as well, because I am wondering if the hotter temperature required to fuse it would hurt the tshirt fabric and the designs on them. A tricot would require less heat, and may be more gentle on the screen printings.

I have seen fusible tricot interfacing at JoAnns for less than $2yd :D:D:D