Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about tying a quilt

Blog Entries

Question about tying a quilt

I have changed my mind and want to tie the squares to my backing, how do I do the knotting for that so it won't come out? What type of thread should I use, embroidery thread?
    Thanks much,
    Kim from Ohio
    Learning is a never ending process. Kimberly Moffitt Adams

Blog Entries
    I have always used size 10 crochet thread, doubled. I use a large eye needle used with yarn with a sharp point. I put it down one side and up about 1/4 inch away from the down side. Then I go thru the same holes a second time (down and then up). I do a square knot. I say to myself as I tie the knot~ right over left.....left over right ~ I have washed my first one done this way every week for several years and the knots have not come undone. Hope this helps.

a good square knot- some people tie a double square knot (tie one- then tie a second one)
    some people use perle cotton, some use embroidery floss (all 6 strands) some use yarn- it's your choice- just make sure it's strong- and make sure you are using a batting that is ok for tied quilts- a batting that needs to be quilted every 2"-4" is not a good choice- batt's that allow up to 10" between quilting lines often say on the package 'good for tied quilts'
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I've read where some people sew with their machine the perle cotton or yarn on to the quilt in a short stitch instead of sewing through the quilt with a needle and then tie it. Sounds easier to me. But, I've never done anything like that before. Just something I thought sounded like a faster, easier method.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK20gl3Amvo
    how to tie a quilt tutorial

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone, I just got to my question and I should have read this first because I started and got one section done on the quilting table, but I only used 2 strands of floss. But I am not using any batting, just the top and bottom together. Being that it is a king size, what to take on as a first time quilt, I didn't want to have it bulky when packing it for an event.

Pictures please?

Blog Entries
    I will when I take when finished. I had a guy come over and he seen the quilt and asked me if I was selling it. I looked at him and told him that it was my first quilt and it is all hand done. He was in total shock. Then last night I had someone ask me if I can make her a quilt if she buys the fabric but I have no idea how much to charge for making a queen size quilt.
    So, I guess i will be in the quilting business when I am done with this one. But, I have to do two twin size quilts for my grandsons first. That will be out of my mom's clothes then I might do a couple wall hangings for my sisters for Christmas gifts, as a surprise.

I've tied with both yarn and embroidery floss. My big queen I did with yarn that matched my backing...mainly because it was cheap and I was poor and in high school lol I've done several baby quilts with floss and with narrow ribbon with good results.

Don't be afraid to tie your knots tight My mom recently machine "tied" a baby quilt...but that just seems like extra work to me lol it was cute though

Blog Entries
    I found some yarn that has a mix of colors that match the top of the quilt. I watched the video and that gave me good tips for threading the needle also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast