Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Tying a Quilt >

Question about Tying a Quilt

Question about Tying a Quilt

Old 07-08-2016, 06:29 PM

so sorry that happened to you....can you save it?.........or did the batting bunch up in the dryer?
Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 PM

I use embroidery floss, I use three threads only. I put the threaded needle in quilt and out, then repeat. Then tie 2 times each time make sure it is nice and tight. Make sure threads is at least 2 or more inches you can always cut if needed but you can not add. Have made and given many not a problem and yes washed many times.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:57 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your helpful responses! Yes, the quilt can most definitely be saved. I took the floss in/out of the quilt twice before tying. Only the knots came loose/undone, the thread did not come out of the quilt -- whew! From your responses, I think the problem is that I did not do a square or surgeon's knot, only the simple "tie your shoe" knot, and I probably cut the floss too short. So, I've decided that since I have to touch them all to re-tie/tighten anyway, I'm going to take these knots out and replace them. Thanks, again, for your quick and helpful replies! This board is the best! P.S. The jury is still out on whether I tie another quilt or not.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:57 PM

I have seen several instructions for tying quilts that use the term "double knot". A double knot could be a "granny knot", which will not hold, or it could be a "square knot", which is much better. I recently had the task of removing granny knots from the fringes of many dozen double fleece blankets donated to our Linus chapter and re-tying the fringe with square knots. We were also given several small quilts tied with some odd knot I had never seen before that could be pulled out easily with bare fingers without even being washed. Another complete re-do was necessary.

For quilts I use a completely different knot that I have seen done on many Lutheran World Relief quilts and was also used by my Victorian aged grandmother. I have no idea what it is called and I can't find it on the internet, but it is my favorite. Rather than holding one end of the thread in one hand and the other end in the other hand to tie, the needle is used for manipulation of the thread in one of the hands. The result is a great knot and no cutting waste other than the small length left on the needle at the end of the run after doing many knots.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:43 PM

I use Aunt Martha's crochet thread. I was taught by a friend and I do not know the name of the knot but you twist and pull it through and then again, pull tight and cut 1/2 inch off. They have never come undone.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:51 PM

I cheat, I had a similar problem when a lot of the ties were coming untied, so after that I started using a small dot of Fray Check in the middle. It keeps them from coming apart. If I use yarn, there has been no problem, only when I use embroidery floss.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:29 AM
Power Poster

Wool yarn will hold if you tie a square knot. Test to be sure it isnt a granny knot - tug and see if it pulls out or not.
When you wash the wool it will only swell and get tighter.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:23 AM

I tie all my quilts now. When my hands allowed it I hand quilted all of them. Then with some help from Jan VA I big stitch hand quilted but alas that too became a problem. After several tries with different products, and always coming loose, I finally discovered the surgeons knot on a utube. It works great. I have a friend who goes through the quilt twice before she ties it and has no problems but that seems a bother to me. Have fun, my kids love tied quilts, reminds them of the quilts grandma made for them.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:33 AM

I use a square knot - right over left, then left over right ( or vice versa). As I tie, I make sure I pull my knot tight. After the quilt is washed, I go back over my knots and check to see if any have come loose in the wash.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

I also agree with the surgeons' knot. Even a square knot can come undone.