Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about using Elmer's school glue to baste

Senior Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Question about using Elmer's school glue to baste

I tried the spray basting last week and almost asphixiated myself! So while I was waiting for my sewing room to air out I started thinking--has anyone tried putting Elmer's school glue with water into a spray bottle and using it that way? Obviously, it would have to be very watered down in order to go through the sprayer--but if it works I think it would be a great alternative to the commerial spray basting products and using it straight from the bottle. Thoughts??

I saw somebody on youtube doing this and also a man using hairspray to baste. They swore both worked, but I've never tried either.

I haven't tried that -- I would think it would take to long to dry with the additional water. That said, I have watered it down a little to make it flow better -- I ironed it dry.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Hairspray? I may try that.

I seem to remember someone on the QB did try that. I just use it, straight from the bottle. It dries pretty quickly.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I read once where someone on here said that they used Hair spray Aqua Net and that it did fine and didn't goo up the machine either.
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Blog Entries
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6598712_make...lue-spray.html I know that I also saw a youtube video on this but can't find it now. This is the closest I could come up with.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6598712_make...lue-spray.html I know that I also saw a youtube video on this but can't find it now. This is the closest I could come up with.
    If you iron your top and backing after spraying with this glue spray it should be fine. Ironing will dry the glue.

Here is a previous post advising against using hair spray.
    Hair spray used as basting spray?

Blog Entries
    Don't remember who, but someone here on the board dilutes Elmer's washable school glue with water and said it worked fine. I tried it, but I must not have diluted the glue enough, wrong size nozzle, etc, 'cause I couldn't get it to spray. So I just use it straight from bottle and let dry.