Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Warm & Natural... I need some great advice!!! >

Question about Warm & Natural... I need some great advice!!!

Question about Warm & Natural... I need some great advice!!!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 PM

I like fusible poly batting for wall hangings. Fusible makes it easy to handle, and poly means no shrinking. (Although I don't usually launder my wall hangings; they're not usually washing-friendly)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1 View Post
I thought Warm and Natural is 100% cotton... doesn't it say it is on the label? Why is it so heavy?
Yeah, everybody seems to think that but if it was actually 100% cotton you wouldn't be able to quilt it 10 inches apart. The poly scrim is why you can quilt it that far apart. You have to read the fine print on the label.

If you read this website carefully you won't find anywhere that it says W&N is 100% cotton. http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html

Last edited by Scissor Queen; 02-23-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM

I use Warm and Natural in my wall hangings, but I don't plan on washing them. However, I have ironed quilts with Warm and Natural batting after I washed them to get them flat again. Worked just fine.

Dina
Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 PM

If you don't want the crinkly look, use polyester batting (it does not shrink) or pre-washed wool batting. For wall-hangings those battings also help to give stability to the quilt. I frequently will use a double batting of 1 wool on top of poly. For table runners and place mats, I like the Insul-Bright as it gives a higher level of protection to my table. You don't want to use poly for anything that will be close to a heat source - it doesn't need direct flame to melt and the Insul-Bright has something in it that protects against heat.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 AM

I typically use W&N for everything, except jackets or items that I want to drape. I haven't washed any wall hangings. If you feel the need, vacuum or take outside and shake.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Yeah, everybody seems to think that but if it was actually 100% cotton you wouldn't be able to quilt it 10 inches apart. The poly scrim is why you can quilt it that far apart. You have to read the fine print on the label.

If you read this website carefully you won't find anywhere that it says W&N is 100% cotton. http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html
One of my packages says 100% Cotton except for scrim.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:47 AM

I only use Hobbs Thermore, I don't want my batting to be lumpy and I do want everything flat, if I use it on the table.
https://www.connectingthreads.com/to...g_TD20825.html
Old 02-24-2014, 04:51 AM

I use Quilters Dream Poly Fusion. I called the quilters dream co. and asked for their advice. They were very helpful in answering my questions. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:08 AM

For table runners, I use crafters fleece. It comes on a bolt, sold at most walmarts. It is like felt, but thicker than the craft felt squares you can buy. It comes in white. Perfect for stability in runners and toppers.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 AM

Default Great batting for wall quilts and table runners.

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
I have been attempting to ensure that I am using the correct batting for table runners and wallhangings. Someone suggested for medium sized wallhangings Warm and Natural. I have no problem with W&N but, someone later mentioned if it is washed you get that crinkled look to it. I definitely do NOT want that to happen to a wallhanging.
So, does W&N usually give that crinkly/used look after washings??
What batting do you use in wallhangings?
Thank you for your ideas. I am truly stumped as to what to put in wallhangings so they will hang nicely and have some good body/substance/weight to them.
I use THERMORE It is a poly batting, very thin and great or runners and wall quilts. I buy the QUEEN size.