Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about "Warm Wishes" quilt

Question about "Warm Wishes" quilt

I am working on cutting fabric for a "Warm Wishes" quilt and have a question The focus blocks are 6" and the instructions say to cut two strips 2" and one strip 3" and then join these. Now the resulting strip set would measure 6.5" correct? How does this work with the 6" focus blocks? Is there an error in the instructions I have or has this cold I have made my brain foggy? I cut the blocks already so I would have to adjust the strips. Thanks for any help.
    You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Those who wish to sing, always find a song. ~Swedish Proverb

It works! When you take off the seam allowances you have it. (5.5 inch finished square)

Yes it does. 1.75+1.75+2.5=6. I just have a foggy brain and should turn out the lights, take cold medicine and go to bed. Thank you.
    You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Those who wish to sing, always find a song. ~Swedish Proverb

I hope to make a warm wishes quilt soon also.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've always made mine with the focus fabric cut at 7.5 and the rails cut at 3, ending up at 2.5. Makes the quilt go together quickly!

Or of course you might sew like me..... I cut my strips according to the pattern & stitch them together, then measure the resulting square... even though I try very hard to do a scant " seam, I usually end up with at 5 7/8" unit, so cut my focus square at that or whatever the strip unit measured. It helps to keep the quilt nice & flat without having to stretch a few seams.

I agree with thimblebug6000, cut the square after sewing the 3 strips together. I have made several WW's and they are quick and easy.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas