Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about wool batting >

Question about wool batting

Question about wool batting

Old 08-13-2010, 02:38 PM

I have a small flock of sheep and have wool sitting around waiting for me to get processed. Spinning some is great BUT I have plenty of wool and am thinking about sending it off to be made into quilt batting. Is wool batting popular? What are the differences between quilting with wool batting as opposed to cotton or synthetic battings? If I do get battings made should I just have enough made for my own use or do you think there is enough of a market out there? If so, for what sizes? Thanks in advance for all the advice I know I'll be getting.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 PM

You can card it and use it for needlepunch also. Also can be dyed easily. I haven't ever used wool batting but read about those that do. One reason is it is so expensive.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM

I have used Quilters Dream Wool and love it. It has a very soft buttery feelfor handquilting and also it sews beautifully for machine quilting. It is also very nice for hand tying.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Google Goddess

cool, can't wait for you to get some made up!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

A typical problem with wool batting is its tendency to beard. I believe modern wool battings such as those marketed by Hobbs and Quilter's Dream are needlepunched and bonded to help with this.

If you have your own wool made into batting, you may want to use the old-fashioned method of encasing the batting in cheesecloth before layering. This helped prevent bearding before the development of needlepunching and bonding processes.

I personally would not buy a wool batting from other than Hobbs or Quilter's Dream. Have seen posts about problems with bearding, distortion after washing, and odors (although those may go away when batting is dry).
Old 08-13-2010, 05:45 PM

It is absolute heaven to hand quilt. I bought some off the bolt at a local quilt shop so it is pre-shrunk. I love it, but don't use it except for special quilts because it is expensive.

I'm not an accomplished machine quilter. I probably wouldn't use it for a quilt that I'm going to machine quilt, but others who are good on FMQ might use it.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 PM

I'm a longarm machine quilter by profession but I also hand quilt some of my own quilts. I agree that Quilters dream and Hobbs heirloom Wool products are lovely. the loft is high, the quilts are so thick but so LIGHT. i love that! I have arthritis and i can't abide anything heavy on me. The wool batting is 3 times as thick as cotton but half the weight!