Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for all the scrappy quilters >

question for all the scrappy quilters

question for all the scrappy quilters

Old 10-06-2014, 11:14 PM

Default question for all the scrappy quilters

If you're making a quilt and don't have a recipient in mind yet (not sure if for a male or female)...do you worry about using what might be considered female fabrics? Like pinks, peach, florals?

Do you just throw caution to the wind and throw it all in there?

I love scrappy and the scrappier the better, just not sure about adding those to a quilt that might end up for a guy.

Most of the scrappys on my long to do list would have smaller pieces in them...would that make a difference?

Would love all input.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Power Poster

I don't worry about any color but pink. I do not like pink as much and neither peach so I am not likely to use it unless it is planned. My guys are OK with purple.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:30 AM

30% of men are color blind so I try to find out if they are (DH is) and put colors in they can see true but do not eliminate florals. Men like flowers too. If I don't know the potential male recipient or recipient hasn't been identified I put plenty of blue "pops' in the scrappy. A good gender and taste style crossover scrappy is something that has lattices or connectors (don't know what to call them) that are neutral to any taste and the insides whatever. A geometric design over floral and everyone likes it. Ideas: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--k5gQMJ0eP...+Quilt+011.JPG

http://milliesquilting.blogspot.in/2...py-quilts.html

And this scrappy log cabin will appeal to both, usually as their is an overall design for the guys (the big picture and end outcome) and the many pieces, or smaller pictures for the gals which is all the different fabrics. http://blueisbleu.blogspot.in/2013/0...aby-quilt.html Except on this one there is too much aqua/turquoise for most guys to grab onto. Also, for a pattern/design make one piece the same color in all blocks; not necessarily the same fabric, though.

And the one time I completely let it go and just randomly picked, everyone loved it and wanted. I have analyzed the colors and noticed their are no browns or antique-y colors. All are bright and vibrant with leanings toward primary colors popping everywhere, not the decorator mauves, retro greens, washed out shades. Other observation I have made (seven guys in house at times) is they see the designs and are drawn to something that has structure in the chaos. And nothing where the design itself resembles feminine (does not matter if fabric is girly if the design is not).
A plaid border or solid one brings a highly floral pieced quilt back into the guy zone.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:02 AM

Yobro, thank you. I find your points very interesting...particularly the example wth the first quilt as it does feel gender neutral for the reasons you stated. And so interesting about the vibrant colors vs retro shades. Those are some very nice quilts!!
Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 AM
Power Poster

All of the guys in my family love color! The more vibrant the better. My husband has surprised me a few times by being very ( taken) by a quilt that was very* floral* but the design/layout was what drew him in, not the fabrics. I use my scraps in what ever way seems to work best for the pattern. My sons always loved the brightest, most colorful quilts I made, my daughter is more ( muted) in her pallet preferences. My niece recently got married, the men in the wedding party wore charcoal gray suits with light watermelon pink shirts.... They were Very Sharp looking, not a girly looking one in the bunch! You might not want your baby boy in pink sleepers, but beyond that, boys love vibrant design and color!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:27 AM

If I thought a quilt would go to a male recipient I wouldn't use as many pinks or pastels in it but wouldn't eliminate them entirely in a scrappy.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Most men like pastel colors. I wouldn't make a purple and pink quilt for a big or little guy but mixed in with lots of other colors would be fine.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I do charity quilts and avoid pink or any shade of pink with no gender quilts. I also stay away from my watercolor floral stash. I never have made quilts for men but now I am making some quilts for men in wheelchair. I find myself grabbing for plaids and yellow, brown and black prints.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:01 AM

I think my taste is rather masculine, so things I like tend to be well liked by men. So that makes it pretty easy!

I don't like pinky-peachy colors but I do make baby quilts and quilts for people who do like those colors so I actually end up with quite a bit of pinky scraps in my scrappy quilts sometimes. I just roll with it....some of my quilts are so super scrappy I think every color possible is included so I don't worry about it.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I have never thought about it before. I tend towards the darker colors anyway so, for me, it does not really come into play. I do have a few bright colors so offset the darks. Mostly when I make something for my husband, it has a lot of blue because that is his favorite.