Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: A question for all...

Well....off you go, grab that blanket and get it quilted or tied. Oh, and don't forget we would love to see a pic when you have it on your bed. Happy quilting (and never forget the roots of our magnificent obsession....we quilters are thrifty and creative).

Good ideas, I buy batting a Micheals with the 50% off coupon, in Canada I can get a queen Heirloom 80/20 for 15.00 with the coupon. I'm sure your Micheals would sell them for half of that. Or Hobby Lobby with the 40% Coupon is a good deal too. I've used old flannel sheets for lightweight quilts and a corduroy type blanket fleece bedspread that I didn't want any longer, it made a warm heavy quilt.
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

Good ideas, I buy batting a Micheals with the 50% off coupon, in Canada I can get a queen Heirloom 80/20 for 15.00 with the coupon. I'm sure your Micheals would sell them for half of that. Or Hobby Lobby with the 40% Coupon is a good deal too. I've used old flannel sheets for lightweight quilts and a corduroy type blanket fleece bedspread that I didn't want any longer, it made a warm heavy quilt.
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

Blog Entries
    I have two very old wool blankets I have thought about using as batting. I know it would be very warm and they are both lighter colors.

As previously mentioned, so long as the blanket is preshrunk. I've used old sheets for batting some tablecloths I quilted. They turned out great. You know whatever works...works! I say go for it.

Mattress covers !!!!!!!!!! Why didn't I think of that !!!!!! Thanks for the great idea.

I have done several using the light "summer" blankets. They are a little hard to find now, though - unless someone can steer me to some online. Again, be sure to wash in hot water first in case it shrinks.

My MIL uses old blankets all the time in her quilts.
    I have a mattress pad that I can't use on my bed anymore (went to a split king). I will have to save that for when I make a quilt for our bed. Thanks for the tip!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5