Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for all you hand quilters >

Question for all you hand quilters

Question for all you hand quilters

Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 AM

So I'm working on my third hand quilted quilt and I would like to know how you quilt the borders because I find that the hardest as my quilt always seems to flop on the edges no matter how tight I get it. Am I doing something wrong? Or are borders always hard??

And another question, how do you knot the end of your thread? I can pop it in in the beginning but have just been knoting the end in a seem where you won't see it.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 AM

Do you mean when it's in a hoop, that you're trying to make the tension tight? It's not necessary to have super tight tension, it makes it easier to maneuver the needle if it's not tight, in fact. I would just fit in as much of the border as will fit in the hoop as possible, and let it have a relaxed tension. I use one of those square PVC frames, that makes it easier to fit more of the quilt in, and to get right out to the edge.

As far as the finishing knot- when I've reached the end of the thread, I float it through the batting aways, wiggling the needle up and down between the layers to make sure the knot will have plenty of batting to catch on. Then I bring the needle up through (not at a seam), pull it a bit so that the quilt bunches slightly, make the knot right by the fabric, then cut the thread an inch or a little more away from the knot. Then you can smooth out the top of the quilt with your finger and the knot will pop inside and catch in the batting. There will be some extra thread still hanging out- poke your needle in to the side of it and slide the needle along under the top layer of fabric to pull the tail of thread inside. Over time, the tail of thread will tangle with the batting and will add extra security for your knot. HTH! :)
Old 10-16-2011, 04:00 AM

You can pin or baste a towel to the edge of the quilt so you have enough to hold the quilt in place. There are edge hoops you can buy, but this always worked for me.

I end my stitching the same way I started, with a small knot. I bury it between the layers. I also wiggle my needle in the batting to kind of tangle up some fibers. I think it helps keep the knot from popping out.

Janet
Old 10-16-2011, 04:21 AM

On borders, I would pin baste a folded piec of muslin to the border so I would have enough to get the hoop to secure it. I had a piec of muslin I used over and over.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:37 AM
dd

Kristin and I must be kindred. I have the same hoop and make the same knots. But, I made muslin sleeves to go over 2 sides of the frame so I could pin the quilt to the muslin whether it be the side or the corner. The corner was even harder. Put the 2 sleeves on 2 adjoining sides of the square PVC hoop and pin the corner of the quilt to the muslin sleeves. So much easier to quilt that way.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 AM

I'm with Kristen and just fit as much of the border in the hoop as possible at a time, keeping the tension fairly loose then same as for the rest of the quilt. Tedious moving it that often but I've been too cheap to buy an edge hoop.

As to knotting at the end, I just wind the thread around my needle a couple of times to make a knot, then bury it in the batting and pulling it through making the quilt pucker. I then clip as close to the top as possible and when it smoothes out the end is not visible.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 AM

wow thanks everyone! I'll probably pin baste a piece of material to the sides and corners to help with that and thank you with the end knot!! I can't wait to quilt some more now!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:33 AM

I use an embrodery hoop near the edges, that way I can get all the way to the edge.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:14 PM

I baste a peice of muslin along the edge and put it in the hoop and get with it.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:20 PM

Are you using a floor frame? The local ladies who helped me learn pinned strips of muslin(or whatever) to the sides, wrapped the muslin around the frame and back to the quilt and another pin, then repeat until taut. Remove pins when advancing the quilt then re-stretch.