Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for all of you >

A question for all of you

A question for all of you

Old 05-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Banned

I made a quilt for a lady, in Brooklyn NY, that lost her DH in the twin towers. She sent me all his clothing & photos & I made the whole quilt out of nothing but his clothing. It turned out great & she loved it.

I'd love to see a picture of this quilt, if you have one.

I think a couple of airplane blocks would be fine in her quilt, not the whole quilt though.
Don't know if it would be okay to use: Come Quilt with Me has a template for the Coffin Quilt (an old memorial pattern).

http://www.comequiltwithme.com
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Originally Posted by raptureready
My DH is into RC planes and I found some fabric at Walmart about 2 years ago that had vintage (WWI and WWII) airplanes on it--biplanes and ones that look like the Spruce Goose and others. It was more authentic looking and not childish at all. However I don't know who made it. I think it was called Up Up and Away maybe. I fussy cut the center squares and did diminishing sashing and cornerstones.
What are diminishing sashings?
She's right, I used large one near the fussy cut, then a narrower one, then used a narrower one to set them together. It sort of makes the center square look "higher" than the rest. He loves it, I gave it to him for his March birthday a year ago and the only time it's off the bed is when I wash it. It's done with rather dark sashings, a dk gray and a cotton that looks like denim. It was made to be a utility quilt, nothing fancy.
Now I understand!!! Thanks!! Never heard the term before.

:thumbup:
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM

gollytwo, I do have a picture of it, but don't know how to post it here. All I know how to do is send it over e-mail. I also made a quilt for my Folks 60th Anniversary a few years back that had something like 97 pictures on it, of their 60 years together, plus all the grand kids & great grand kids around the border. They take it where ever they go & show it off.