Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for all of you >

A question for all of you

A question for all of you

Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 AM

I am going to make a memory quilt for a friend that lost her DH a few months ago. He was into air planes mainly a moony sp? She has given me a few photos she would like on it of his plane & one that he was building. Anyway, my question is, do you think the pattern simple planes by Sindy Rodenmayer would be appropriate to use for this quilt? I want it to be special for her & not to kiddie looking. Your opinion please.

Halo
Old 05-15-2010, 12:31 PM

I've googled and can't find the quilt, do you have an URL for it? Did you mean silly planes?
Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Halo
I want it to be special for her & not to kiddie looking. Your opinion please.
A lot of what makes a "kiddy" design is the fabric. You can use the same basic shape and use a "mature" fabric and get a totally different look.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:55 PM

I don't know the pattern you are thinking of. It may be able to be done with "mature fabrics" as suggested and look great.

This is a link to an airplane block at Quilt in a Day. I don't think it looks kiddie at all.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/theater/victory08.html
Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM

I think it will be fine. Color choice & setting will make it look more or less like a kids' quilt. You might even ask for some of his shirts and make 9 patches with them for an Irish Chain using the photos & airplane blocks in the blank areas.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:25 PM

Yes sewcrafty It is the silly quilt. The URL is http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/kis_quilts.htm

Thanks Lisa, I checked it out & now to decide witch one I want to make.

BK, I did ask for some of his shirts, but her kids came in & cleaned everything of his out. Didn't leave one thing. I thought that was really rude of them, but then again, they may have thought it would be easier on her if she didn't have to do it herself.

I made a quilt for a lady, in Brooklyn NY, that lost her DH in the twin towers. She sent me all his clothing & photos & I made the whole quilt out of nothing but his clothing. It turned out great & she loved it.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:11 PM

My DH is into RC planes and I found some fabric at Walmart about 2 years ago that had vintage (WWI and WWII) airplanes on it--biplanes and ones that look like the Spruce Goose and others. It was more authentic looking and not childish at all. However I don't know who made it. I think it was called Up Up and Away maybe. I fussy cut the center squares and did diminishing sashing and cornerstones.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
My DH is into RC planes and I found some fabric at Walmart about 2 years ago that had vintage (WWI and WWII) airplanes on it--biplanes and ones that look like the Spruce Goose and others. It was more authentic looking and not childish at all. However I don't know who made it. I think it was called Up Up and Away maybe. I fussy cut the center squares and did diminishing sashing and cornerstones.
What are diminishing sashings?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Banned

several sashings getting narrower and narrower as they get to the edge. Example 1", 2" and 3" wide.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Originally Posted by raptureready
What are diminishing sashings?

She's right, I used large one near the fussy cut, then a narrower one, then used a narrower one to set them together. It sort of makes the center square look "higher" than the rest. He loves it, I gave it to him for his March birthday a year ago and the only time it's off the bed is when I wash it. It's done with rather dark sashings, a dk gray and a cotton that looks like denim. It was made to be a utility quilt, nothing fancy.