Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question to any quilt business owners >

Question to any quilt business owners

Question to any quilt business owners

Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM

Default Question to any quilt business owners

If someone drops their quilt off to be quilted how long does it usually take to be done? Days, weeks or monthes? Thank you in advance
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Always ask on the turn around time for machine quilting before leaving your quilt. Look at samples of their work and see if you want to wait for their expertise or not. Sometimes the better the quilter, the busier they are and waits can be long especially getting close to Christmas.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM

You can also get a slot on their schedule before you even start making the quilt in most cases (certainly here in NH, anyway). There's no reason at all that a quilt has to spend months in a bin at their house instead of yours, just make sure you get it to them by the scheduled date or you'll lose your spot. My longarmer is booking 6-9 months out, but she never has my quilts for more than a week at a time.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure it varies, but several weeks is not unusual and the more popular a quilter is, the longer the wait. This has been mentioned before, but when you drop a quilt off, you should get something in writing. Size of quilt, general instructions on quilting, an expected completion date and pricing should be included, even if it's just written on a loose leaf sheet. If the quilter doesn't want to do this, I'd look for another quilter. It does go both ways, when you drop a quilt off, plan on spending some time with the quilter to discuss what you want. Even if you are going to let them do "whatever" you should still look over the quilt together and get something in writing.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM

The lady I use tells you if you want a spot, how far out she is. I picked up a quilt Oct 1st and she told me she was booked up to Feb. She is getting popular. She always give me somthing in writing and goes over everything with me.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

my turn around is 2 weeks- i generally (about 98% of the time) have it done sooner- but i always schedule 2 weeks in case anything should happen that causes a hold up...seldom happens-but sometimes life just gets in the way.
i always let people know when they call- how soon i can take their quilt & when it will be done- i don't want to be responsible for numerous (customer masterpieces) so i do not take them & stack them up for months at a time- if i have one loaded-in the works & another waiting for it's turn i let the person know when they call that i have 2 ahead of them & when they should be done- then set up an appointment for them to bring theirs in- if someone is months out...i think i would have to find someone else-who is not so (backlogged-overworked)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Thank you, I am hoping to get it this weekend like they said it might be ready.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM

All very good replies!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM

My turn around times depend on what time of the year it is. Right now, they are at three weeks and I'm not accepting any more Christmas orders.