Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on assembling a quilt top >

Question on assembling a quilt top

Question on assembling a quilt top

Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Default My First Quilt was a Trip Around the World

Your quilt brought back a funny memory of my early days of quilting in 1998. I attended my first quilting class about 3 weeks after taking up quilting and we were going to be making a Water Color Quilt. We were to bring all of our supplies including a design wall/board and floral fabrics to class. Well, right off the bat, I missed the "floral" part of the fabrics and brought the wrong fabrics which were all tone on tone. I "built" a design wall with 2 - 3' X 5' sheets of form core and flannel not knowing a design wall was a piece of flannel, an old flannel backed table cloth, or a yard of batting. As I set-up I noticed I was the only one with such a large design wall but there was no way to hid it at that point. On to making our blocks. A couple of hours into the class, quilters began placing their blocks onto their design walls and my blocks in no way looked like theirs. Finally, the instructor came to my station and was trying to help me arrange my blocks. After about 15 minutes, she stopped and said, "I am sure you will come up with something when you get home" and walked away. Sure enough I did....my Water Color Quilt turned into a Trip Around the World Quilt. Since then I have won ribbons on my quilts, had one hang in a museum, been published in a book, design patterns, teach quilting classes and invented a series of rulers under the name of Ruler Revolution shown at www.rulerrevolution.com So, I guess my Trip Around the "Quilt World" quilt was an omen of what I would be doing as a quilter. Thanks for sparking that memory.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 PM

Snowball2013, that is a great story, and very inspirational for all of us who do things the hard way

Thank you all for the links and beautiful pictures! You ladies make amazing quilts.

And now that I've seen the tutorials, I once again realize that I didn't pick the easy way to go about this project... my rows are not repeating in the same order. *facepalm* As my dad used to say, "If we don't have any challenges to overcome, we'll create them and then overcome them most heroically".
Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

well , be sure to post a pic when you are done!! we'd love to see it!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

My avatar is a Trip Around the World but done with watercolor prints. Just stick with the instructions. 12 fabric were used in this quilt. Decide what order you want them to appear. Cut your strips, sew them in the order. Then you sub cut from your sewn strips. You make each strip into a loop (explain in the book). You will actually make one side of the quilt then sew another duplicate. The center section is then pieced and your quilt top is done. Good Luck. Hardest part for me with making this quilt is picking out the fabric. Here is one I did in Bright Colors for a contest on this board
Attached Thumbnails bright-colorsplash-e-mail.jpg