Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question on assembling a quilt top

Question on assembling a quilt top

My new project is inspired by this type of design. Since I'm not even sure what it's called properly, finding a tutorial has proven difficult.
    So I wonder, is there a smart way of breaking it up into strips and then blocks for piecing? Do I start with the center 9-patch and go outward or make identical quarters and put the center in during final assembly?

Name:  5226196231_eb2487cdd0_z.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  277.8 KB

I believe the design is called "Trip Around the World". I know there are tutes/instructions out there that show you how to piece strips and then cut.

Blog Entries

Power Poster
    Yes, it is a Trip Around the World quilt and it can be strip pieced. Bonnie Hunter has a really good and easy tutorial at her Quiltville site at the link posted above.
    Last edited by Tartan; 06-11-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    had to put this in here, just to show another one done by a forum member Quick trip quilt I made for my Daughter!

Here's one I did from a book called Radiant Sunshine and Shadows (it's the 2nd set of pictures) teeny 9-patches, very similar but a few differences. Every other 'block' was a solid, helping with the flow of colors from one segment to the next. This one was laid out from the center to the outside. I pieced mine in rows then rows together. Quilts # 4 & 5 - a One Block Wonder and a 9-patch
    I might need to make another of these now that I've gone back and looked at it!
    Good luck - would love to see your progress!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Check out www.quiltinaday.com Eleanor Burns has a book for this pattern and I believe there is a video on her site.

It is a Trip Aound The World. I also like the Triple Around The World. They are alot alike. Should be easy to find something on them. Just google the names and see what comes up.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    Check out www.quiltinaday.com Eleanor Burns has a book for this pattern and I believe there is a video on her site.
    I would highly recommend Eleanor Burn's book listed above. She gives directions that are very easy to understand. Your library may have a copy.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I have done several of these. I usually color the squares out on graph paper, then sew each vertical row (I start form the left) at a time into long strips. Then I move on to the next row, and sew it to the first row, and so on. After a few rows, the pattern starts to emerge. This may seem like more work, but I like to have the pattern to refer to. I tried (once) to sew in block sections, and ended up ripping out the whole thing I had done, and went back to doing it my own way. the nice thing about this is that it is a great way to use up your stash ; you can use as many colors as you choose to complete the "trips".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast