Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for bag makers please >

Question for bag makers please

Question for bag makers please

Old 04-27-2017, 05:08 AM

Wow, there are so many more videos out there than I found on my own. I guess knowing the bag maker's name is very useful in finding good information. Thanks to everyone who suggested ideas and videos. I've watched a lot.

I made this bag yesterday. I made the zipper just a tad smaller as dms suggested and the whole bag went together very nicely.

Thanks to everyone for helping me!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bag-4.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:42 AM

I've also used a piece of scrap fabric folded over several times to match the thickness of the fabric being sewn. Or a stack of post-it notes works also.
Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
My machine came with a little plastic doohickey that can be put under the back of the foot to level the foot when the fabric is thick. It's good for getting over humps - it keeps the fabric feeding so that it doesn't get stuck in one spot, trying to get over the hump.

Other than that, make sure you trim the seams to reduce bulk, and use a 90/14 or 100/16 needle.

I haven't done enough bags to be helpful with your first question.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:13 AM

I tried that once and it didn't work so well. How do you transition from the regular fabric to the folded over scrap fabric? Do you fold it to make it like a ramp?

I guess I should watch some videos and try it again. You are not the first person to suggest it. Thank you.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:35 AM

when attaching the handles to the sides, sew the entire top leaving your 'to turn' opening on the side of the lining. This way you have a very secure top and a secure bottom of the bag. Your opening will be on the least stressed section (the side part of the lining). I am a bit confused by your picture. I never include the straps in the zipper. I think it would be to much stress on the zipper area. I put them on the side pointed down, stitch and then fold back to the top and stitch an x pattern. This is usually about an inch or two below the top of the bag opening. This allows for a lot less bulk at zipper and more ease in opening the bag.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:56 AM

check out youtube flat bottom tote bag the strap comes from top sides
Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
when attaching the handles to the sides, sew the entire top leaving your 'to turn' opening on the side of the lining. This way you have a very secure top and a secure bottom of the bag. Your opening will be on the least stressed section (the side part of the lining). I am a bit confused by your picture. I never include the straps in the zipper. I think it would be to much stress on the zipper area. I put them on the side pointed down, stitch and then fold back to the top and stitch an x pattern. This is usually about an inch or two below the top of the bag opening. This allows for a lot less bulk at zipper and more ease in opening the bag.
Great idea to turn the bag on the side, not the bottom!!

I'm sorry but I don't understand the handle directions. Are your handles enclosed between the interior and exterior fabrics or are they sewn to the outside? Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

I can understand how that would reduce the bulk at the zipper. I ran into the problem already.

My picture was following instructions from a tutorial.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraQ View Post
check out youtube flat bottom tote bag the strap comes from top sides
When I go to youtube and search for "flat bottom tote bag" I get a lot of hits teaching how to make the flat bottom. Could you please tell me which one exactly I should watch? Thank you.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

One way that the handles wound not be on the very top of the bag is to flip it around (according to your picture) to where the color block is near the top. That way the handles could be inserted into that seam and it would eliminate the stress on the zipper. Make the outside with the handle attached, the inside lining and sew them together. When you flip the bag, it all will be right for you. Hand stitch the opening together and voila there it is.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
One way that the handles wound not be on the very top of the bag is to flip it around (according to your picture) to where the color block is near the top. That way the handles could be inserted into that seam and it would eliminate the stress on the zipper. Make the outside with the handle attached, the inside lining and sew them together. When you flip the bag, it all will be right for you. Hand stitch the opening together and voila there it is.
This picture?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572186[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure what you mean with "flip it around so the color block is at the top" but do you ultimately mean insert the handles between the outer fabric and the batting? (The piece pictured is quilted) And then sew the bag together including the zipper?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails bag.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
I never include the straps in the zipper. I think it would be to much stress on the zipper area. I put them on the side pointed down, stitch and then fold back to the top and stitch an x pattern. This is usually about an inch or two below the top of the bag opening. This allows for a lot less bulk at zipper and more ease in opening the bag.
I think I just figured out what you mean because I saw it on one of the Lazy Girl videos. I was not aware of this technique before. Thanks!!