Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A question before I cut the flannel...

I am getting ready to start what, for me, will be a huge project. I am going to create memory quilts for the family using a variety of plaid flannel shirts and a bathrobe that belonged to my late father-in-law. They are going to be large lap quilts. The flannel clothing has been washed and dried a number of times, so shrinking should not be an issue. I have selected a variety of simple patterns and purchased Bonnie Hunter's book "Scraps & Shirttails" for suggestions on cutting shirt fabric into blocks.

I just orderd additional new flannel in solids or near-solids to add to the plaid shirt fabric and for borders and backings. A large box arrived today from Fabric.com. :D I plan to wash and dry all the flannel three times to shrink it.

QUESTION: When I finally begin cutting, do I need to use 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch seam allowances when figuring the measurements for the blocks? I read one book that said to always use 1/2 inch for flannel, and another said it didn't matter. A number of my patterns are going to use half-square triangles, and I want to use Eleanor Burn's method and square-up ruler, which uses 1/4 inch seams. What's your experience with flannel? Thanks for you help!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Gosh wish I could help you. God bless. Penny

It depends to a large degree on how much quilting you're going to do. half inseams on flannel are more secure in any case, but if you don't do much quilting, this measurement will help prevent the seams from splitting after future washing/use. If you plan to so a lot of quilting on the finished item, the smaller seam allowance would probably work fine...but personally, I'd use the half inch any time.

I would use 1/2 inch seams allowances. Some flannel frays and you would hate for your beautiful quilts to come apart.

OK, this is helpful information. Sounds like I'd better do the 1/2 inch rather than be sorry later.

Blog Entries
    have fun quilting