Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question on bias binding

Do any of you use the "continuous bias binding" method when you make your binding? I have a binding that I want to cut on the bias because of the pattern design - I've seen this method used where you sew it into a tube and do a continuous cut.....any thoughts on this from anyone?

Blog Entries
    Try it on a piece of other fabric first to see if you like doing it. I like this method and when you attach it to the quilt use a walking foot. There is also a great method for finishing your binding so there is no fold over and open seam. It is hard to discribe here. I found the insructions in Leisure Arts book
    'Quilters Complete Guide', by

Blog Entries
    Try it on a piece of other fabric first to see if you like doing it. I like this method and when you attach it to the quilt use a walking foot. There is also a great method for finishing your binding so there is no fold over and open seam. It is hard to discribe here. I found the insructions in Leisure Arts book
    'Quilters Complete Guide', by
    M. Fons & L. Porter
    It is a good tutorial book from A to Z. The finish binding info is on page 97 and continuous binding is on page 95. My other favorite book is by Rodale:
    'The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide'
    These two books have a welth of info in them and are worth the investment. They are teaching tools and I refer to them all the time. Good luck with the binding. Hope you can use this info!

To add to this question: how do you know how big to cut the fabric to make the tube?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat and pups
    To add to this question: how do you know how big to cut the fabric to make the tube?
    To estimate size of square needed given the length of binding you want: add about 20 extra inches for corners and finishing. You will need a calculator that has a square root symbol. Most calcs have this.

Length of bias X width of strip = area of strip
    Square root the number you get for the area of strip
    example: 450" long X 2" wide = 900"
    enter 900 on calc. and hit the square root symbol you will get the number 30. so a 30" square will give you 450" of 2" wide binding. hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingquilter
    Do any of you use the "continuous bias binding" method when you make your binding? I have a binding that I want to cut on the bias because of the pattern design - I've seen this method used where you sew it into a tube and do a continuous cut.....any thoughts on this from anyone?
    Go to the tutorial at the bottom of the page for how to bind quilts!

Blog Entries
    I uses this all the time. I save all all the leftovers for my scrap quilts.

I never use bias binding unless there are curves involved.
    I usually cut binding strips across the grain then join the strips with a diagonal seam.
    There is a wonderful video on quilterstv.com featuring Holice Turnbow who is a quilt judge. He cuts his binding across the grain unless he is doing binding for scallops. His video was very good--long but very informative.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    I don't like the tube method of making continuous bias binding because of the frequency of seams in the binding. I prefer to cut my fabric into bias strips as long as I can make them, then piece them together. The leftover triangles from the fabric are large, so can be used in other projects.

My favorite binding to date was a stripe that I cut on the bias. Planning to do this for some Christmas quilts in a red candy stripe.

I use straight-grain binding on most quilts, but bias binding when I want that candy stripe effect (or have curved edges on the quilt).

KLO
    Blog Entries
    This is also my favorite way to make binding because it goes together so quickly. I have laminated directions from Fons and Porter called "Quilters "Need-To-Know" card. I have had it a long time. It has lots of info on both sides and one of the sections contains the steps for making the continuous binding. I have to pull it out all the time for the measurements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast