Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Die Cutter Users >

Question for Die Cutter Users

Question for Die Cutter Users

Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Default Question for Die Cutter Users

For strips, squares, rectangles -

For what you spent for the machine and dies - has it been worth the cost for you?

(I don't have a die cutter - so far it's been easy enough for me to do my cutting with a rotary cutter)

but just in case I might someday want/need one -
Old 09-15-2015, 11:35 AM

I have had my Go for several years, and no, it wasn't worth it for me. I hardly ever use it. I have different sizes of strip cutters, but I've never used them. I would just as soon use my June Taylor to cut strips.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:37 AM

Hi, I have the Accuquilt Go Big. I LOVE it! Worth every penny I spent on it. My sister and I share the cost. I bought the machine and she bought the dies. Although we live thousands of miles apart, I can still cut what she needs.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:46 AM

I have the Accuquilt Go. I've used the hexagon die many times for cutting my Grandmother's Flower Garden hexis.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I was in an unique situation. I had my die cutter (Accucut Grande Mark, which is identical to the Accuquilt Studio) for my paper business at least 15 years before I started quilting. I had 100s of dies, but they were all intricate dies for paper items. Stuff you wouldn't want to cut by hand. When I started quilting, I made my first few quilts using a rotary cutter. I mean, come on, I was just cutting straight lines. Why pay for a die? Well after struggling with getting seams to match, I realized my rotary cutting wasn't quite as accurate as I thought. I got a couple used dies on ebay and what a difference it made. I now have about a dozen quilting dies, mostly basic geometric shapes, but a couple for cutting curved blocks. My favorite is Winding Ways. I've made 5 of these quilts and can't imagine doing curved piecing without die cut shapes. I spend less time cutting than before, but the big thing for me is accuracy. I think my quilts go together quicker because I'm not struggling to get seams to match. I had lots of experience positioning stuff on the dies, so I don't have much waste. The bottom line is that yes, I really feel that the added expense was worth it and would have purchased a cutter for quilting if I had not already had one.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Love mine! Had the Go and my DH gave me the Go Big electric for Christmas! Have cut a lot of my scraps, lots of 5" squares, a few appliques(more to come with new dies), and tons of strips! Got the log cabin, multi-size strip and 2.5" strip dies and would like more sizes.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

I mostly do strip quilting so I can see the cost be beneficial to me.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:23 PM

My Studio cutter has saved my body from pain and agony that I can actually sew! Yes it was worth it to me. I buy the geometric dies only as I am not an applique person. The cost is so worth it.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:40 PM

Worth every penny! I've cut a bazillion squares, strips and everything else for scrappies, swaps, family and friends.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 PM

I love my GO! It has amazing dies for HST and FG. I also use the strip ones all the time.