Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question on Fleece

I did see the fleece thread here and read it all
    but my question is- I have 60 inch width fleece
    and need to extend it to 72 inches if I can't take it off the bottom and add to the sides as the stretch needs to go side to side
    how do I extend it........thanks Rita

Quote Originally Posted by RitaFaye
    and need to extend it to 72 inches if I can't take it off the bottom and add to the sides as the stretch needs to go side to side
    Hi Rita. I use fleece for backing a lot. I don't piece the backing any differently than I would if using regular cotton. Here's a link to some tips on how/when to piece you might find helpful...http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm

The nap and stretch need to go in the same direction. If you HAVE to, carefully piece it (no distortion) and then proceed with quilting or tying. I wouldn't want to put it on a longarm roller if the stretch wasn't consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    Hi Rita. I use fleece for backing a lot. I don't piece the backing any differently than I would if using regular cotton. Here's a link to some tips on how/when to piece you might find helpful...http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm
    She doesn't mention grain of fabric. Lengthwise-no stretch. Important for wall hangings that are hung one way for a long time. Fleece and Minkee should be handled as a knit, which they are.

Quote Originally Posted by quilticing
    Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    She doesn't mention grain of fabric. Lengthwise-no stretch. Important for wall hangings that are hung one way for a long time. Fleece and Minkee should be handled as a knit, which they are.
    Since I use it frequently, I am aware fleece is a a knit and that stretch and direction are considerations. I also don't use it myself, and wouldn't imagine others, would use it as backing for anything that would be hung --- that just doesn't make sense. With the expense of these fabrics, too, much better choices can be made that cost far less per yard.

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the link.....Next time I will know -----for this time I decided to put it inside. So far it is going good.........

Just wanted to say that I put fleece on the back of a quilt, recently, and I love it!