Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for GFG Gurus >

Question for GFG Gurus

Question for GFG Gurus

Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 AM

Default Question for GFG Gurus

Hi, I am doing what I declared I would never do. Found a really pretty GFG picture online somewhere, fell in love it with and have decided I like handwork after all. Problem is, I have googled, visited websites and haven't found the answer to a question. I haven't even found instructions in books about GFG nor have I even found a book at the local shops. When joining path hexies to the rosette, do you add 6, 8 or some other number? I had asked a woman who had done one a while ago and she couldn't remember but thought 8. I have added 8 but now I wonder if the number shouldn't be six. I realize they will fit together like the cogs of a machine (at least I hope they will) and I don't want to add too many nor not enough. I KNOW someone on here will have the answer to my burning question. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:23 AM

If you google GMFG quilts..images...you can see them up close. Then count how many you need by checking out the photo. The number depends on how many hexies are in your rosette.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I took a class at my then LQS for a very inexpensive class so that is where I learn the basic of hexes. Can you post the internet location of where you saw of this hex pattern? I found mine in a magazine and I just made the flowers, then attached them together with white hexes and filled in with what I call leaves.
Attached Thumbnails grndma-flwr-grdn-corner.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 07:33 AM

There is never a "blank" space where I could do leaves. The rosettes never have more than one single white block between the two rosettes. They are not in a straight line which is accomplished by only having the one block.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:42 AM

It all depends on the layout you use. I staggered my flowers so I did not have the space for leaves as MainicQuilter did. There are several different layouts. You just need to figure which one you want to use and lay them out. Then just start adding the extras where needed.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:30 AM

when making a rosette, you start with one hexie (the center) then multiple of 6 for the next rounds. 6, 12, 18 etc. if you are doing a traditional GFG layout, you would use 6 and 8, then the 18 for the path, but the path would only go on every other flower. Hope this makes sense. There are so many different layouts that it is difficult to give a # with out knowing the layout you are using. If you have a photo, you could just count the hexies.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:55 PM

You definitely have to decide on the layout before you'll know the answer to your question. When I started my first project, I just made the flowers,rosettes, whatever, with one in center, six surrounding, then after I had a lot of them made, I spread them out and decided on layout, had looked at several for ideas. Here is a link to my first one, just know that you've been warned, very addictive! http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t257980.html
Old 04-17-2015, 04:10 AM

Like all above have said, there are way too many ways to describe here. You must search for patterns and decide what you want.......go to Pinterest.......your head will spin!
Old 04-17-2015, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I echo everyone else.....decide on your pattern and then you will know which direction to take. There are many (I am working on one with the star pattern as a secondary (madness....trust me!).
Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 AM

I find it really helpful to download hexagon graph paper (just put it into google and it'll come up with some) and then colour it in to plan my hexie projects. That way you'll be able to see exactly how many you need!