Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: question for glue baste users

When you use glue to baste an applique down, do use wash it out as soon as the quilt is finished, or do you just wait until the quilt naturally needs to be washed. If you wait, is there a danger of it damaging or staining the quilt?

I always wash my quilts as soon as I'm done with them. I have quilts that have taken forever for me to quilt them (I'm talking months ) and the basting spray didn't stain the quilt.

I am actually refering to the school type glue that is sometimes used instead of pins for applique, or in binding to keep everything from shifting. But maybe it would be the same as the spray baste. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I don't worry about washing it out right away...It is only starch and water :D I do like to wash them though, as the glue does make the fabric a little stiffer. It may be an issue if you have silverfish or other starch loving bugs in your region :wink:

I don't use it on my quilts, and it is just very little for my wall hangings, so I tend not to wash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    I am actually refering to the school type glue that is sometimes used instead of pins for applique, or in binding to keep everything from shifting. But maybe it would be the same as the spray baste. Thanks.
    Don't worry about the glue..when your totally done with the quilt, you should wash it. I use the school glue that goes on purple and dries clear..for all my string quilts. (instead of pressing every seam down..this works just as well..)

all my quilts get washed,before handing them over..