Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for hand quilters >

A question for hand quilters

A question for hand quilters

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM

I always use a hoop but remember when using a hoop don't get the fabric tight- you need it loose to do the rocking stitch- I think lots of people think it should be tight like in cross point or other types of hand work- lossen up the fabric
Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 AM

I've always used a hoop but other quilters here and ones I've spoken with in person have done them without a hoop with beautiful results. It depends on what you are comfortable doing.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
I will start by saying, I am not a hand quilter.
I hand stitch my quilt bindings by hand, thats about it.
I send my quilts to a LAQ that does custom quilting.
She does great work and I'm always pleased
when I pick up my quilts.
I received a hand quilted quilt, 80% finished(12 blocks are done)
The four borders need to be hand quilted. The borders are cut 13 inches wide, and the quilter was using a 10 inch hoop. (which I received)
My question to the hand quilters here is-
Is it absolutely necessary to use a hoop?
I feel I could make better stitches if I didn't use a hoop.
She has 4 rows of basting running the length of the border.
Can I add more basting stitches and hand quilt these borders
without using a hoop? Is it absolutely necessary to use a hoop?
Would be glad to receive any advice on this topic from experienced hand quilters. Thank you.
I have been hand quilting for 12 years and have never used a frame or hoop as long as it is pinned or basted together all should be well - I personaly only pin as that way if I do find it starting to gather underneath I can move the pins easily to smooth it out
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bdsmith
I always use a hoop but remember when using a hoop don't get the fabric tight- you need it loose to do the rocking stitch- I think lots of people think it should be tight like in cross point or other types of hand work- lossen up the fabric
Hi,

I agree with bdsmith. There are several interesting tutorials on You Tube which I would recommend viewing. There are different methods using different types of hoops, thimbles needles and quilting aids all making each a different way of quilting. I found several interesting quilting aids that are now on my list of items for future purchase.

You may also find as time goes by that you need to change the way you quilt depending on the size of the project, how much you quilt and how your fingers, hands and wrists handle the quilting movements.

I'm also planning on attending some quilt shows this year. Sometimes they have some ladies working on a quilt either in a frame or individually. The next time I see someone hand quilting I plan on watching them in person and talking with them about their quilting method.

Have a Great Quilty Day!
Pam M
Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 AM

I hand quilt all my own quilts I do not use a hoop and I use safety pins and I have no problems. I am working on a twin size right now.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 AM

I do both, with a hoop and without. Depends what I'm working on.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:13 AM

I agree with Janedee, I never use a hoop and don't baste, I pin so I can smooth it out as I go. I find hoops constricting.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:50 AM

I'm going against these comments I know, but as far as I can tell, the majority of hand-quilters use some sort of hoop or frame so that the tension is right. It's a very personal thing, and you won't be able to tell which you prefer until you try. 10" is actually very small for a hoop, the usual size is 16" or 14" if it's round, or something equivalent if it's rectangular. I use a 17" x 11" Q-snap myself. If the hoop is too small, you don't have much of a workable area inside, and if the hoop is too big, you may not be able to reach comfortably around it (and I'm 4'11, so this is an issue for me). I also thread-baste, I find that pin-basting gets in the way of the frame.

I gather you don't hand-quilt already? Do remember that while you can get to a reasonable standard quite fast in some cases, it's not something where you can just make it up as you go along and it will look perfect from the first stitch. You will need to learn, your stitches will be odd at first, and so you should put a spare bit of fabric and batting together, find a good book on hand-quilting (or video tutorials, or get someone to teach you), and see how you get on with it. Remember that even once you've learnt, your quilting stitches may look different from those already on the quilt. (I've been quilting for about three years, and my stitches are much smaller and neater now than when I began, or how they were a year ago.) If you put a ruler to a line of quilting on this quilt, how many stitches on the top side are there to the inch?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:20 AM

I never use a hoop. As long as the quilt is basted well you can hand quilt it without a hoop. I get much better stitches without a hoop. When I first started hand quilting my instructor recommended a hoop. I tried until I was almost in tears to make that darn hoop work but just couldn't do it. I went on QB and asked the same question you're asking and found there were many hand quilters that didn't use a hoop. So I went back to my instructor and explained the situation to her and she said "Oh, you don't have to use a hoop just bast it really good!" Good luck with your quilt, I think you'll find it is fun.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:02 AM

I agree with janedee. I started with a hoop but it wasn't easy to move it when riding in a car on a trip. I now do every size without a hoop.