Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for hand quilters

Question for hand quilters

I'm fairly new to hand quilting and have had several different answers to this question. Do I start in the middle of the quilt, quilt the width of the quilt in one direction, then turn the quilt to do that same row to the other side of the quilt OR do I quilt in a circular motion always working my way to the outside?

It depends on whether you're quilting in a hoop or without a hoop, or in a frame.

When I quilt in a hoop or without one, I start in the center and quilt in a circular motion on my way to the outside.

I usually quilt in a frame, and in the frame I start in the center of the row, quilt toward the edge, then go back to the center and quilt to the other side. And because my frame has 3 poles, I start at the beginning of the quilt.

The theory is I don't want to quilt in any puckers. If I quilt this way, I smooth out the backing and top.

I hope this helps.

Janet

dd
    I've always worked from the center out. So yes, I work kinda in circles. Kinda the way my life goes.lol
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    It depends on whether you're quilting in a hoop or without a hoop, or in a frame.

When I quilt in a hoop or without one, I start in the center and quilt in a circular motion on my way to the outside.

I usually quilt in a frame, and in the frame I start in the center of the row, quilt toward the edge, then go back to the center and quilt to the other side. And because my frame has 3 poles, I start at the beginning of the quilt.

The theory is I don't want to quilt in any puckers. If I quilt this way, I smooth out the backing and top.

I hope this helps.

Janet
    I'm using a small floor frame. So which way is best?

There is really no "best" way. What ever is the most comfortable for you is your "best" way. Honest.
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

Blog Entries
    I hand quilt with a floor frame and start on the outside and work towards the center and never have any problems with puckering.

I quilt on a floor frame or hoop and always start in the middle. It depends on what pattern I'm quilting as to the direction I go in but always from the middle and work out toward the edges.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Power Poster
    I have a Q-snap floor frame and I start in the middle and work to the sides. You quilt in a hoop so I would thread bast the sandwich and then position the hoop middleish and work out in overlapping lines across/down the quilt. The reason you advance in a march to the edge is so that if there are any wrinkles, you can get them to the edge of the quilt without a pucker. This is my understanding, someone correct me if I am in error.

I'm interested in this too because I never know which is the "right" way. Thanks for all the responses. I now know whatever way I can get it done is the right way, just making sure it looks good.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    I use both a hoop and a floor frame. But with both I start in the middle out. That is the way my Mom taught me but do whatever suits you. If the layers are basted well(either with pins or stitched) I dont think it would matter.
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast