Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops >

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 AM

I am wondering, is it possible to quilt large (queen size) quilts in a lap hoop?
I have never hand quilted, but am thinking I would love to try this to give me something to do while *watching* tv with hubby. I feel badly about spending ALL my time with my machines, but usually when I'm doing the tv time, my mind is often quilting :P
Do any of you hand-quilters do it this way?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

You can quilt any size in a lap hoop! I have done a king, two full size and am currently working on a not quite queen (86" square). All done in a small lap hoop. I think my hoop is 14", certainly no bigger then 16". I love having my handquilting to sit with during TV time with hubby. Especially during the winter when it is so nice to have a nice warm snuggly quilt draped over my lap.

PS welcome to the board!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I always use a hoop. Baste well first, then start quilting in the middle of the quilt.

Jan in VA
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Thank you for the welcome and I'm happy to hear it can be done!
Do you pin your quilts, use basting spray or what?
I almost have a quilt done that I was thinking about trying FMQ on, but just cannot get the hang of it well enough that I want to risk it on my this quilt.
I've been wanting to try hand quilting anyway, so now I'm excited about the possibilities!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 AM

I hand quilt all the time in a 14' hoop. I have made about 8 queen size quilts, 1 king size quilt, and about 20 lap size quilts. I pin and baste well. I remove the pins and basting as I go along. When I move the hoop, I try to place the next area flat on my table and I gently slide the bottom of the hoop in place and gently place the top of the hoop in place. I don't know if any of this makes and difference, but this is what I do. I can't sit at a quilting frame, it hurts my back. I also, mound the quilt on my lap so the frame is supported and I don't have to completely hold it. I love quilting and watching TV. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 AM

I also start in the middle and fan out.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Also, I never place my hoop over a pin. I just remove it or pin somewhere else.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I do but I do not do Cal Kings in it. It is a ll you need though. I saw a man do a very large King Hawaiian quilt with a hoop. Gorgeous! He liked sitting on the floor. My current hoop, that I prefer, is made with that plastic, has a little ridge to keep the quilt top snug and has two hoops, one on the bottom and one on top.
This lifts the quilt and makes it easier to work under it. The plastic one is lasting me. I was going through wooden ones.

I take the back down, smooth the batting over it, smooth and spread the top over and hand baste. I also start from the center of the quilt and work my way around and out.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 AM

My DH's grandmother quilts, and made us a queen size quilt when we got married. She does hers in her lap without using a hoop except to get started in the very center.

I'm not sure of the specifics, I've never seen her do it, and I'm just now trying my first hand quilted project, so I'm not qualified to give advice on exactly how it is done.

I know she thread bastes her quilts. And she says the same thing as feline fanatic about how nice it is to have a quilt to work on in the winter!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 AM

Are the oval hoops easier to work with than round ones for lap?