Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question....I am looking for a pattern for panel fabric? >

Question....I am looking for a pattern for panel fabric?

Question....I am looking for a pattern for panel fabric?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:37 AM

Default Question....I am looking for a pattern for panel fabric?

HI! I have recently purchased AUDREY HEPBURN ICON PANEL fabric. I really want to make a quilt out of it (and other panels that I have), but I can't find ANY patterns. Does this make sense? Has anyone seen any patterns to help incorporate these sorts of panel fabrics? THANK YOU!!!! I'm sort of at a loss with this one.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 AM

The book 9 Patch Pizazz has a fun setting for a panel, and also combining larger blocks of fabric with 9 patch blocks.

There is the old standby medallion style - where you can add blocks/borders around the central panel until you reach the size you want.

Cheers, K
Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 AM

I am not familiar with this particular one. Will look it up but if you google the manufacturer sometimes they have free downloads of their panels and fabrics.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Jenny from MSQC has a video on using panels - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9i5XDFVAxI

She doesn't mention that one of the problems with panels is that they are often printed off grain, making it harder to cut out the rectangular sections. Hopefully yours doesn't have that problem. Books have problems dealing with panels because there are so many possibilities in the size and design of the elements in the panel. Basically, just find some fabrics that coordinate and use your imagination.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 AM

I have TONS of patterns utilizing panels. PM me with the size of your panel and I'll send you some suggestions.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:38 AM

I have used the pattern called Sidelights for two different panels and it worked so well. It is fast and easy too.
Pat
Old 06-13-2014, 10:15 AM

Someone posted a quilt that was really cool using an "outdoorsy" panel think maybe it had deer in it. I will see if I can find it but it was really different and I thought it was great
Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I googled the panel to see what it looked like and also checked the Robert Kaufman site for free patterns to see if they offered anything. They did not. The panel, with all the odd sized squares in it, I think you will have to make something up as you go.

The smaller pictures of her, look to be about 6.5" square or so. You could try making them the center of a sawtooth star and end up with an unfinished block around 12.5" so that would fit with the larger pictures of her (the Breakfast at Tiffany's and MFL) as a website I found says those measure 12.5 x 14.75. That oblong one in the center of the panel I think would be the bugger to try and fit in. You would obviously have to sash it up a bit to get it to a size that will play nicely with the others.
Then just play with strips of varying widths to work it out. You could also incorporate some of the fun PP blocks that are out on the web, like a high heel shoe, a dress that looks like that style from the 50's, etc. I would surf the net for blocks then get out the graph paper (or EQ) and play.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:44 AM

I bought some Tiffany blue fabric to go with the print I have not made it yet. I did put one pic on My bead Note book.I beaded her necklace and hair piece. There was an a few weeks ago something made with the Marilyn Monroe panel.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_2790.jpg   dsc_2791.jpg  

Last edited by mary quilting; 06-13-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:04 AM

I found a pattern that uses a panel in the center with 6 1/2" plain blocks and pinwheels around it. The pattern is Grand Central by Swirly Girls Design. The fabric I am using includes a border strip so I am adding borders and making mine into a queen.You might have to piece around your panel to make it the right size.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478982[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails grand-central.jpg