Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a question i'm always asked >

a question i'm always asked

a question i'm always asked

Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
I'm usually working on two or three quilts at one time. So while I'm piecing on one, I'm quilting on another and maybe have a third that I'm about to sandwich, so this question always stumps me too. I don't keep a tally or watch the clock (or calendar! lol) for each quilt, so I never really know how to answer. I think I like the suggestion of "longer than you think" though! I might just borrow that one from now on. :-D :-D :-D

Count me in on that one............!
Right now I'm working on 6 QFK's kits, have one on the quilting frame which I attack at least once a day and about 6t other quilt tops waiting in line to get on the frame....all smaller lap sized - not the really large bed sized ones. (Oops, just reminded myself...I do have two OBW tops in the wings.)
Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 PM

I usually say "You couldn't pay me enough" I hate doing 2 of anything!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by mshollysd
You know, it took at least 25 hours to FMQ the quilt for auction for Joy Ranch. I would say total time spent on a queen quilt sampler with everything would be about 60 hours. Now, $10 an hour for just labor (that is cheap considering you pay some attorney $150 an hour) and then take in the cost of the equipment usage, as well as the fabric and that quilt in my eyes is worth about $1000. at least. Regular people are so use to "bargain made" items, that they would freak out to pay what we have into any quilts.

Well said with nobs on! If you go on line somewhere like Old Country Store and look at the price of quilts, you will find you are not far off the mark. Also, I love your Avatar picture!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Diane819
My dentist asked me that question the other day. It's really hard to explain to someone that doesn't quilt. He was being nice. He asks about my husbands fishing also.

Did you ask him how long it takes to fix everyone's teeth? I'll bet it varies quite a bit depending on size, complexity etc etc.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 AM

Depends on a lot of things!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:51 AM

Either I give them an estimate or say "If I kept track, I'd be too scared to ever make another one."
Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Depends on how many projects I have going on or plan to do. I hate to give and answer because it may lead to someone asking if I can make them one. good luck. Sue